[SOLVED] Windows OEM v Windows full?

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Am I correct the only difference between OEM and the full is that the OEM doesn't have drivers support from the manufacturer, but still allows hardware changes to a point, say for example, I changed graphics, ssd and memory over time, it will still work?

Solution
Yes. You can move retail windows license to a different pc.
You perform clean windows install on a new pc and use windows activation troubleshooter to move the license. Windows on new pc gets activated and deactivated on old pc.
Am I correct the only difference between OEM and the full is that the OEM doesn't have drivers support from the manufacturer, but still allows hardware changes to a point, say for example, I changed graphics, ssd and memory over time, it will still work?
No. Difference is licensing and support.
With OEM windows you're limited to windows install on one pc only. And OEM (PC manufacturer - like DELL or Acer or whatever) provides support.
With Retail windows you can move windows install to a different pc. Microsoft provides support.

Drivers are the same. Both have no problem with changing hardware like GPU, SSD or ram, but will have a problem with changing motherboard, because this is considered a new pc.

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
No. Difference is licensing and support.
With OEM windows you're limited to windows install on one pc only. And OEM (PC manufacturer - like DELL or Acer or whatever) provides support.
With Retail windows you can move windows install to a different pc. Microsoft provides support.

Drivers are the same. Both have no problem with changing hardware like GPU, SSD or ram, but will have a problem with changing motherboard, because this is considered a new pc.

So effectively, since I have also a full install Windows, I can use that on another PC are you saying that is correct?