Windows.old does not save anything

G

Hi guys,
I reinstalled Windows 7 after it was playing up. I deleted the windows partition on my SSD and created a new partition. However, it gave me a windows.old folder. It doesn't contain any documents,music or anything personal in it though. Does it only contain the default OS files?
Many thanks,
AKNerd

Hi

Usually it contains folders :- Windows, Program Files (& Program Files (x86) if x64 bit OS)
from previous Upgrade installation. (Win Vista to 7)

Or it is the result of installing service Pack 1 to enable you to remove SP 1 if something goes wrong with upgrade

Disk cleanup will probaly clear this up (delete) for you as file/folder permisions will block you from deleting the folder as a ordinary user

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-7

regards
Mike Barnes

G

I didn't upgrade from vista to 7. I had a folder named "Mobogenie" left behind from accidentally installing some freeware. I want to get rid of it. Would Windows.old contain anything like that?

Hi

If mobogenie was off c:\program files probably yes

If you are having problems viewing contents of windows.old boot up off a Linux live cd as it will not bother about windows file & folder permissions
Most have a file manager that works in a similar way to windows explorer

Regards
Mike Barnes