Windows.old folder was modified when desktop power suppl switched off

leftisthominid

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
This is a curiosity more than a problem, but I thought to ask anyways

Last night (well, technically this morning since it was after midnight), my desktop completed the Windows 10 Anniversary update. I shut down the computer around 1 AM. I switched off the main power supply before going to bed. Until 8PM, the computer remained thoroughly switched off.

I noticed that the Windows.old folder that claims that it was modified and created at 4:08 AM when the computer was completely without power. Anyone have an explanation? My computer time is set properly.

(Apparently my laptop, which finished the Anniversary Update around 3:30 PM, says Windows.old was created at a time when my laptop was off too)

Solution
There is one hour delay in file creation date on NTFS file system. There's also registry setting to ignore delay and set time stamp to immediate. It was like that since the beginning.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So did you unplug it? what power switch did you use? at the wall or just on the box?

win 10 uses hybred hibernate instead of the old shutdown common to previous windows, it normally saves half the data into ram and other half onto ssd/hdd. If you unplug it, it loses all the data in ram so on next start up it will be slower than if you were to leave it on. I expect the laptop was in this mode and that may explain the late operation in folder, but if PC is turned off at wall and still shows the operation, I have no idea.

leftisthominid

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014

I switched off the power supply on the back of the tower. No electricity whatsoever was was flowing through the computer.

I read the time website, but I am not clear what from it is directly relevant.