[SOLVED] Windows on 2 Drives

adr_45

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019
So I have had this thought in my head for a while and I'm not completely sure on what I should do. I know that Windows, and everything really, runs smoother on an SSD. I have both a HDD and a SSD in my pc but I have windows installed on the HDD. It has been super slow and has been a hassle when loading things sometimes. I was wondering if I would be able to install Windows on the SSD and be able to use it that way? I figured that maybe all I'd have to do is go into the BIOS and set the boot priority to the SSD, but would I have to do that every time, or would it save automatically? I'm just not sure if it's the best idea or not, but anything to make Windows run smoothly will do for me.

Solution
Depending the size of the HDD and how much is full you could clone the drive to the SSD and then wipe the HDD to use as storage.

If you just install a fresh copy of window on the SSD, the programs you have installed on the HDD will not work and will have to be reinstalled.
Depending the size of the HDD and how much is full you could clone the drive to the SSD and then wipe the HDD to use as storage.

If you just install a fresh copy of window on the SSD, the programs you have installed on the HDD will not work and will have to be reinstalled.

Solution
Processors, these days are very fast.
Delays you see are likely to be HDD related.
A ssd is perhaps 4-6X faster in sequential operations, and 40x faster in small random operations.
That is what windows does most.

How you get your installation on a SSD may be easy or hard, depending.

How big is you HDD C drive?
How much of the drive space is used?

What is your ssd make/model, size, and how full is it?
Is there anything on the drive that you would not want to erase?

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
Do you have a budget for an added ssd?