Windows on an SSD and data on a HDD

Jasper Hopkins

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
So I decided to upgrade my computer to a new build, and decided to change my dual core processor to a quad core. With a range of better and more powerful processors out there I decided to get more processing power by putting Windows 7 on a 12GB SSD, and having all my other data separately, on a 1TB hard drive. Will this work? Thanks in advance :)

Solution
32g is workable as long as you ONLY put W7 on. See THIS guide - it is very well written and will give you clear instructions on how to put W7 in a compact and clean install.

Mark

Jasper Hopkins

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

So could I put everything but windows on a HDD

Jasper Hopkins

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

My financial restrictions are high, and a 64GB SSD is too far out of my price range. Could it work on a 32GB? I think that I could do with above minimum. What do you think?

PA Systems

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
I gather than from the above suggestions that a 128gb SSD would be plenty of room for Windows and installed programs? I'm not entirely sure how to find out exactly how many GB my installed programs take up. Currently I'm running most of them off another partition on the main drive.

128g is more than enough for windows. As for all programs, that depends on how many programs you have. If you install programs only and have supporting data folders, etc located on a hdd, then yes, you can install a lot of programs. To check your current usage (as an estimate), look in the install folder for each program and see how much space it takes. I have a 120g ssd, but I use it primarily for windows, utilities and often used programs only - games and other space hogs get installed to a separate hdd where boot speed is not critical.

As an aside, please create a new thread when you have additional questions. I understand your posting on this thread, but your question is not directly related to the op's original question. Just a matter of forum etiquette.

Mark

TRENDING THREADS