Question Windows on m.2 ssd

cwjacare

Reputable
Apr 19, 2019
so i want to install windows on my ssd m.2 and i already have windows on my hdd. what should i do first in order to isntall it on the ssd?
do i need to unplug the hhd from the motherboard so i can isntall windows on ssd?
im so confused, someone help
Thx

A clean/fresh install of everything works out best, IMO....(I'd just disconnect the old one until your are finished....; fewest chances for mistakes/glitches); cloning is possible, but, there are often NVME driver complications that prevent the classic clone and reboot dream scenario migration, so...try a fresh install...

On the positive side, installing Windows to an M.2 NVME from USB install media takes about 4-5 minutes, tops...; I was awestruck that the install was almost done in the amount of time it took me to pour a cup of coffee, and add milk and sugar....

cwjacare

Reputable
Apr 19, 2019
A clean/fresh install of everything works out best, IMO....(I'd just disconnect the old one until your are finished....; fewest chances for mistakes/glitches); cloning is possible, but, there are often NVME driver complications that prevent the classic clone and reboot dream scenario migration, so...try a fresh install...

On the positive side, installing Windows to an M.2 NVME from USB install media takes about 4-5 minutes, tops...; I was awestruck that the install was almost done in the amount of time it took me to pour a cup of coffee, and add milk and sugar....
yha i wanna do a fresh instart, so i gotta disconnect the hdd that i currently am using, install on the ssd, then format the hdd so i can have evrything from clean right?

cwjacare

Reputable
Apr 19, 2019
yha i wanna do a fresh instart, so i gotta disconnect the hdd that i currently am using, install on the ssd, then format the hdd so i can have evrything from clean right?
sry i dont rly understand about pc's and all, do i just unplug the cable on the hhd or do i actually need to unplug it from the motherboard aswell?

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, disconnect the cables from the old drive.
Then:

What actual parts do you have? Specific make/model, please.

cwjacare

Reputable
Apr 19, 2019
Yes, disconnect the cables from the old drive.
Then:

What actual parts do you have? Specific make/model, please.
i5-7600k
gtx 1050 ti 4gb
asus b250-plus
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZRZ-00HTKB0 (SATA )
and recently bought m.2 ssd 970 evo to install the windows on it

cwjacare

Reputable
Apr 19, 2019
one more question, when i have the windows on the ssd, how to i format the hdd?
do i just start the pc with both drivers and then format it? or do i have to start the pc only with the hhd

Apr 18, 2019
one more question, when i have the windows on the ssd, how to i format the hdd?
do i just start the pc with both drivers and then format it? or do i have to start the pc only with the hhd
when you've done instal new windows on new ssd, just right click on (drive) in windows explorer, and click format. dont forget to backup your important file on drive system on you old hdd.

erverything is ok when you want to instal windows for any drive on your storage, you dont need to unplug any storage, you just need to know what is right drive when instalation begin in selecting drive part.

USAFRet

Titan
when you've done instal new windows on new ssd, just right click on (drive) in windows explorer, and click format. dont forget to backup your important file on drive system on you old hdd.

erverything is ok when you want to instal windows for any drive on your storage, you dont need to unplug any storage, you just need to know what is right drive when instalation begin in selecting drive part.
Sorry, but wrong and wrong.

On the old drive, a simple "format" in File Explorer isn't enough. That leaves behind the original boot partition.
You need to get rid of ALL partitions on that old drive. Disk Management, or commandline diskpart function.

As for installing Windows, you really really need to have only the desired drive connected. Windows has a silly/nasty habit of installing the boot partition on 'the other drive' if still connected. Remove that later, and no boot for you.
It also absolutely prevents a mistake. "Oops, I installed to the wrong drive". See that here all the time.

Reactions: elzmood
Apr 18, 2019
i try same thing with 2 hdd but not ssd,
it works on windows 7. and the old system i just format it from explorer.
but i dont know if its wrong on other OS. and for boot partition i just need to remove old boot partition on system configuration.
and about "silly/nasty habit of installing the boot partition " it is new knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing your experience.

USAFRet

Titan
i try same thing with 2 hdd but not ssd,
it works on windows 7. and the old system i just format it from explorer.
but i dont know if its wrong on other OS. and for boot partition i just need to remove old boot partition on system configuration.
and about "silly/nasty habit of installing the boot partition " it is new knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Again, formatting in File Explorer just formats the partition you see in there. It does nothing for the boot partition you don't see.

Reactions: elzmood