Windows on motherboard

Bevy300

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Hello,
I currently have a defective z97 motherboard and just purchased a new one. The other motherboard has a defective Ethernet port so I can still access windows. I'm running Windows 10.

Apparently I can deactivate the Product key on my current board and use it on the new one, but for the new board will I have to wipe my SSD with windows on it? (I don't have much on my PC as it is only 1 day old)

I installed windows using a bootable USB Flashdrive, so if I do wipe the SSD, then can my Flashdrive be used on the new board and install windows the same as on the old one?

Help would be appreciated.

Solution
Yes, Just deactivate all the product keys and jot them down and then just format it and make a new partition and then it should allow you to download windows again! :)

spray2000

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
Ok, I can help you.. So you know what IDE And HCIE it's in your bios switch the sata port for what ever drive if you have two drives then set both to IDE For now this will slow down the speed of the solid state drive, But you can bring it back to HCIE once you get the operating system installed. Come back once you have done that!

spray2000

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
And also to make things easier and you don't want to do all that, If you don't really have important files I would just reinstall windows, But if you're not willing to do that I will still help you.

Bevy300

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

Considering that the only things I have on PC right now is steam, skype, and google chrome I think reinstalling windows may be the better solution.

For reinstalling windows all I need to do is deactivate the product key then boot the iso on the new motherboard? is that it? also will I have to wipe my drives before doing this, or will everything be removed when installing windows again on the new motherboard?

spray2000

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
Yes, Just deactivate all the product keys and jot them down and then just format it and make a new partition and then it should allow you to download windows again! :)

Solution

Bevy300

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

Thank you!

Bevy300

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

Just another question, Do I reformat windows through the built in "reset PC" option?, or do I do it in the BIOS. Also what do you mean by creating a new partition?

spray2000

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
Yes, use reset PC and then when you get to the part where it prompts you to install the operating system on a drive then you would format it and make a new partition, That's what I mean as partition. It will say partition there just click on it and it will make room to install the operating system on.