Windows on new SSD how to access old programs on HDD

JDC_97

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
Previously I had one HDD for windows, all my programs and documents. I just got a new SSD and installed windows 10 onto it, I can still see all the programs on the HDD but they won't open. Do I have to redownload all the programs? Can I delete the programs from the HDD and reinstall them onto the 1tb HDD to make them work (for example should I download steam onto the SSD then the games on the HDD or can both the programs and the games be put back onto the HDD?)

This is my first build so I'm new to this kind of stuff.

Solution
Hey there, JDC_97.

Usually you should be able to move both Steam and the already installed games by following this tutorial: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129. However with a new Window install, like with many other programs, Steam might need to be reinstalled in order to work properly. Once you've reinstalled the app you could select the directory with the games (your Steam Library) and as soon as all game content has been verified you shouldn't need to download them again.

As for your other programs, as I've already mentioned you'd probably need to install them from scratch in order for them to function properly with the new OS.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, JDC_97.

Usually you should be able to move both Steam and the already installed games by following this tutorial: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129. However with a new Window install, like with many other programs, Steam might need to be reinstalled in order to work properly. Once you've reinstalled the app you could select the directory with the games (your Steam Library) and as soon as all game content has been verified you shouldn't need to download them again.

As for your other programs, as I've already mentioned you'd probably need to install them from scratch in order for them to function properly with the new OS.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution