[SOLVED] Windows on new ssd

Oct 19, 2019
Hey, i instaled at my 500GB nvme windows(flashed with media creation tool), and booted up in that, and my "old pc" with all my pictures games and everything is at my 1TB HDD (using 800GB from that), and i dont know if i can just from file exproler delete windows files and im good to go ? idk i dont wanna lose my data so im rather asking. So rn im running just on nvme and hdd is not connected. HJELP

Solution
If you can get the amount of ACTUAL files that you need to save down to around 200GB, you could then create a folder on your SSD, move the files there temporarily and then wipe the drive followed by moving it all back to the now clean drive, HOWEVER, it cannot be overstated that only fools or the uninitiated would ever ignore the fact that for any important data (And it must be, since you don't want to lose it even in THIS situation) whether it is gaming related, personal files from applications like office documents, movies, music, bookmarks, Windows settings or anything else that you can't stand to lose, you NEED to have another drive where that can be locally backed up so that when, WHEN, not IF, that drive dies, and it WILL at some...
Is your personal information and documents/files on that drive on a different partition than the one that contains the old Windows files? Or is just mixed in, or in specific folders, on the SAME partition?

Do you have anyplace else you can temporarily store your personal files while you wipe the contents of that HDD?

How much data does the files you need to actually save from that drive take up?

Reactions: Andreyay
Oct 19, 2019
it's mixed all in one partition, idc about programs , just that damn around 500GB of screenrecords replays n stuff, idk should i create partition (or virtual disk ??) n move all that replays there n then i can just delete windows , n sonnect it as 2 nd slow drive to nvme ?

USAFRet

Titan
Hey, i instaled at my 500GB nvme windows(flashed with media creation tool), and booted up in that, and my "old pc" with all my pictures games and everything is at my 1TB HDD (using 800GB from that), and i dont know if i can just from file exproler delete windows files and im good to go ? idk i dont wanna lose my data so im rather asking. So rn im running just on nvme and hdd is not connected. HJELP
Ideally, you copy your personal data off to some other physical drive or location, and then wipe the old drive completely.
Selectively removing "Windows" is a major pain. It is far more than just the folder labeled 'Windows'.

If you can get the amount of ACTUAL files that you need to save down to around 200GB, you could then create a folder on your SSD, move the files there temporarily and then wipe the drive followed by moving it all back to the now clean drive, HOWEVER, it cannot be overstated that only fools or the uninitiated would ever ignore the fact that for any important data (And it must be, since you don't want to lose it even in THIS situation) whether it is gaming related, personal files from applications like office documents, movies, music, bookmarks, Windows settings or anything else that you can't stand to lose, you NEED to have another drive where that can be locally backed up so that when, WHEN, not IF, that drive dies, and it WILL at some point, you don't lose everything on that drive.

Same goes for the SSD and any important data on there PLUS possibly the very good idea of creating backup images of your Windows installation so THAT isn't lost if your SSD develops a problem or gets an infection.

Getting a third drive, whether it's another internal drive or an external one, should be high on your list of priorities right now.

Solution