Question Windows only bluescreening with both sticks of ram installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

virxually

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
Hello, Toms Hardware forum
Before I get started, I'm sorry if this isn't on the correct forum, but I thought it belongs here.

Here's a little backstory; My friend originally called me over to install a pcie wifi card for him as the USB adapter he was using would only get him around 5mbps. The installation went well, no issues after booting, and great speeds. Later after I got home, he texted me to get on GTA, when we got on, he noticed that his graphics were pretty bad.. I asked him if he has updated his drivers lately and he said no. I had him update his drivers and once they were done, he noticed that his graphics were worse than before, like, unable to play anything at 60 fps even on the lowest settings. (he has an RX560)
Now to the issue. I went over to his house to see if I could do anything. I tried a couple of things including taking out the wifi card and seeing if that was causing anything. I don't remember exactly why, but I went into the bios, and that was a terrible idea. After that, even getting into windows was trouble. We figured out that windows will only boot if one ram stick is installed. We could get into windows with both installed but every time we used both, it bluescreened.

Config - Windows 10 Home / Ryzen 5 3400G / ASRock A320M / Patriot Viper 2x4GB 3200 / RX560

Here are the things we have tried already;
Resetting cmos
Switching around ram sticks so each stick had a chance in each slot
Cloud reinstalling windows
Wiping SSD and completely reinstalling windows
Using Ubuntu 20.04 (Linux works perfectly fine with both ram sticks installed, though we did get an error every so often saying "internal error with linux")
Used memtest86 on both ram sticks, in each slot, including doing both at the same time (came up with 0 errors after 2 passes (about 40 minutes))

The bluescreens had varying stop codes, but the most common was memory_management, the other ones we got were,
pfn_list_corrupt
unexpected_kernel_trap
irql_not_less_or_equal
system_thread_exception_not_handled
attempted_to_write_to_readonly_memory
dpc_watchdog_violation

These are all stopcodes that happened before we wiped the SSD and reinstalled windows, after wiping and reinstalling, we only got "memory_management".

D

Deleted member 14196

It’s pretty apparent that you have a bad stick of RAM. Make a boot USB of Memtest86 and test each stick individually. If there are any errors than the ram is bad

virxually

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
It’s pretty apparent that you have a bad stick of RAM. Make a boot USB of Memtest86 and test each stick individually. If there are any errors than the ram is bad
"Used memtest86 on both ram sticks, in each slot, including doing both at the same time (came up with 0 errors after 2 passes (about 40 minutes))"

Status
Not open for further replies.