[SOLVED] Windows only booting with one stick of ram and not two

tilakaratnenipun

Commendable
Sep 27, 2017
I have had this issue where my windows constantly crashed and so I ended up completely reinstalling Windows 10 to try fix the errors I've been getting. A few of these BSOD errors are as follows:

1)CRITCAL PROCESS DIED
2)PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA
3)SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
4)MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
5)KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

After reinstalling Windows I have mainly been getting errors 1,2 and 4. I managed to somewhat fix not being able to get into windows by removing one of my memory sticks (I have 2 Corsair LPX 16gb @2667MHz). I have tried switching memory sticks to see if one of them was faulty but both would work if they were by themselves. I tried putting them in every combination I could think of, A2/B1 , A1/A2, A1/B2. I can't figure out what the problem could be, I tried disabling and enabling X-AMP and that didnt do anything, I even tried under and overclocking the sticks but nothing worked.

TLDR: Can only get into Windows when one stick of ram is in and not when two are plugged in.
SPECS:
Mobo: MSI B450-A Pro (MS-7B86)
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: 16GB @2667 mhz
GPU: GTX 1060
Windows 10

Solution
Tricky one for sure...only thing here I can think of is not enough power maybe or a BIOS setting, did you try a flashback if possible?

And did you try one stick in all slots one at a time or just a single slot for all tests?

I have (or had) almost to the same setup and I have had it NOT show one stick when it was a bit loose in the case an I didnt notice (lucky for me that was all), but i've never seen two working sticks fluke out in such an odd way.
I have had this issue where my windows constantly crashed and so I ended up completely reinstalling Windows 10 to try fix the errors I've been getting. A few of these BSOD errors are as follows:

1)CRITCAL PROCESS DIED
2)PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA
3)SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
4)MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
5)KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

After reinstalling Windows I have mainly been getting errors 1,2 and 4. I managed to somewhat fix not being able to get into windows by removing one of my memory sticks (I have 2 Corsair LPX 16gb @2667MHz). I have tried switching memory sticks to see if one of them was faulty but both would work if they were by themselves. I tried putting them in every combination I could think of, A2/B1 , A1/A2, A1/B2. I can't figure out what the problem could be, I tried disabling and enabling X-AMP and that didnt do anything, I even tried under and overclocking the sticks but nothing worked.

TLDR: Can only get into Windows when one stick of ram is in and not when two are plugged in.
SPECS:
Mobo: MSI B450-A Pro (MS-7B86)
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: 16GB @2667 mhz
GPU: GTX 1060
Windows 10
The only combination you do not cite is A2/B2 which is the standard combination on any modern MoBo. Did you try it, without XMP ?

tilakaratnenipun

Commendable
Sep 27, 2017
The only combination you do not cite is A2/B2 which is the standard combination on any modern MoBo. Did you try it, without XMP.
I did try that yeah. No luck.

An update however, I updated the bios and I seem to be able to inconsistently boot into windows with both ram installed now. However it barely works without errors and when I do manage to login, after I do anything like searching or opening an app it is likely to crash.

Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Tricky one for sure...only thing here I can think of is not enough power maybe or a BIOS setting, did you try a flashback if possible?

And did you try one stick in all slots one at a time or just a single slot for all tests?

I have (or had) almost to the same setup and I have had it NOT show one stick when it was a bit loose in the case an I didnt notice (lucky for me that was all), but i've never seen two working sticks fluke out in such an odd way.

Solution