[SOLVED] Windows/ PC restarting 1st time build

Sep 11, 2020
Greetings all, I am bringing my issue to those more worldly than I in these matters.

I have a freshly built PC that is giving me some issues that I have been unable to resolve. The machine seems to be randomly restarting (no BSOD) while under no load/ minimal load. It has gone from working to blackout screen during windows setup (at the prompt for entering a PIN) as well as while doing nothing but running windows update. There does not seem to be a pattern to when or why it happens. The machine restarts, but does not have a BSOD/ error code when this happens.

I have tried to run HW monitor and have noticed that the temperature on the CPU seems to be high and stay high, but research online indicates that the 3600 series is known to run on the higher side. However, in just BIOS, CPU temps seem to be remaining around 77 C without any load at all. My specs are as follows.

ASRock Steel Legend B450 Motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600x
16 GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 3600 RAM
M.2 512 GB SATA drive
2 TB HDD drive
EVGA 550 W bronze plus PSU
Nvidia geforce 1070 (card from previous PC, waiting to upgrade)
Built in Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Case, 3 fans front mounted

Some details/ observations:
I did not add any additional thermal paste beyond what is applied to the pack in Wraith cooler during installation per direction from Paul’s Hardware guide on pc building. Admittedly, the cooler may also not be as tight as it needs to be as I did not want to over-tighten...
I updated to the most recent BIOS from ASRock
In BIOS, I adjusted RAM settings from the standard 2133 to the faster 3600 that is based on my DDR4 speed
I have installed windows on both the M.2 and the mechanical hard drive with the same results.
All fans as well as all rgb on every component functioning properly.

This is my first home built machine. Any advice on things to try for troubleshooting is appreciated.

Solution
77º C is very hot for just being idle in BIOS.
Find and watch at least 5 different videos that discuss how much pressure to use for securing the wraith HS+F, clean off the stuff that comes with your cooler (your thermal seal will just get worse if you try to take off and reapply the HS without completely redoing the TIM), get and apply some good TIM, and reinstall the HS+F.
Also, let your memory run at stock (2133 MHz) speeds while you figure out the rebooting issue. That PSU is also a suspect but first priority is to make sure you don't burn up your CPU.
77º C is very hot for just being idle in BIOS.
Find and watch at least 5 different videos that discuss how much pressure to use for securing the wraith HS+F, clean off the stuff that comes with your cooler (your thermal seal will just get worse if you try to take off and reapply the HS without completely redoing the TIM), get and apply some good TIM, and reinstall the HS+F.
Also, let your memory run at stock (2133 MHz) speeds while you figure out the rebooting issue. That PSU is also a suspect but first priority is to make sure you don't burn up your CPU.

Solution
Sep 11, 2020
After following your advice, I used the higher tier corsair paste and snugged the cooler up much better. One pin seemed almost like it was just barely threaded as I may have been a bit too concerned with damage from over tightening. Now idle tempts down to 36 C at idle and has not dropped to blackout after running for 15 minutes. which is an improvement. The CPU fan is no longer at screaming loud rpms either.

Thank you for the help.

Reactions: alceryes