Windows performed a random startup update today!

blackguard3

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
So this fine day I wake up, power up my pc, and after the normal bootup screen with the press del to enter bios, lo and behold I am greeted with a screen saying windows is applying updates 64/64, instead of the normal windows loading bar. Then before I logged in it said it was configuring and after just a few seconds it let me log in of course. Now it's also telling me I am missing my power management driver as well.

To note, I have the updates set to manual install, as I always hated windows doing what the hell ever it wants every time. So why the hell did it chose to update itself when I started it up today, and what in god's name is that driver? I don't remember it asking me to update it until now. What is the meaning of this whole thing? should I be concerned? It never did this update on startup thing in 3 years since I have the system.

drkatz42

Honorable

Perhaps an exorcism is in order? But seriously, is it even remotely possible you allowed it to update on your previous session then turned it off for the night?

This thread may help
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/357802-28-power-management-system-driver

Or, run Slim Drivers to locate and install
http://download.cnet.com/SlimDrivers-Free/3000-18513_4-75279940.html

blackguard3

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
Don't think so. I always have it set to ask and let me choose to download and install. And when I turned it off, there was no such thing done. That's why I was surprised by the whole thing. Someone else said that there may have been some mandatory update that needed to be done like that but I don't know what to say to be honest.

VinceKnight

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
I know this Thread is somewhat dead however, I am running into a similar problem. I also have windows updates set to Ask before install and let me choose but every once in a while When I shut down it tells me "Windows is installing updates please do not turn off or unplug your computer. Could these be updates of other programs that are simply using the "Windows installer" for their installation?