[SOLVED] Windows photo app no longer imports pictures into folders ?

Jun 14, 2021
Hi,

i only noticed this weekend that the standard windows photo app no longer imports photos into folders. i have been lazy about the photos and only copying ones that i needed to use, and previewing them in the photo app, so i hadn't noticed the change. apparently it's been this way for quite some time. i googled and found that others are having this issue as well. so now i have several months worth of unsorted photos that were backed up to my C drive in the pictures folder instead of my D drive where i had set the import folder to. i had assumed it was going there and making daily folders. my fault for not checking sooner and being lazy about it. i'm using windows 10.

1. does anyone know of a solution to this problem? i need to be able to import my photos per day with an automatic folder creation.
  2. is there a better software to use for importing from cameras or SD cards with adapter that will automatically import photos in folders per day? i would use the canon software but sometimes i have to import from other SD cards with my adapter and as far as i'm aware, the canon software doesn't work with adapters?
  3. is there a good, safe software that i can use to automatically archive my photos into folders from the C drive to folders per day based on EXIF data? i was looking at PhotoMove software and thinking of trying it but was wondering if anyone has used it or if there are better recommendations? it's going to take a lot of work to do it manually.

Solution
The first thing you need to do is to get all those photos on C: (that are now not backed up) backed up. Even if mixed up at least you will have the the photos available. Just in case.

Either en masse to D: and preferable another additional secondary backup location for all folders and photos. Sorted and unsorted.

Before trying any new software for any purpose the data and files should be backed up. Use copy - not move.

Second thing:

"SD cards with adapter that will automatically import photos in folders per day? i would use the canon software but sometimes i have to import from other SD cards with my adapter and as far as i'm aware, the canon software doesn't work with adapters? "

Test that. Take the other SD...

Ralston18

Titan
The first thing you need to do is to get all those photos on C: (that are now not backed up) backed up. Even if mixed up at least you will have the the photos available. Just in case.

Either en masse to D: and preferable another additional secondary backup location for all folders and photos. Sorted and unsorted.

Before trying any new software for any purpose the data and files should be backed up. Use copy - not move.

Second thing:

"SD cards with adapter that will automatically import photos in folders per day? i would use the canon software but sometimes i have to import from other SD cards with my adapter and as far as i'm aware, the canon software doesn't work with adapters? "

Test that. Take the other SD card(s) and see if it works. Ensure that the SD is write protected. Likewise try Canon and other SD cards in other card readers.

Software:

Google "sort photos and file photos by date" .

Examples (not a recommendation or endorsement):

https://www.mjbpix.com/automatically-move-photos-to-directories-or-folders-based-on-exif-date/

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/using/organize-photos.html

You can easily find similar applications. Vary the search criteria as you read and learn. Including "exif" in the search words may prove helpful.

Again, ensure that all data is backed up before trying or testing any product. Set up a computer for testing if at all possible so your main computer is not at risk,

Solution