Info Windows post support updates corrupt laptop

As a caveat I had installed a supposed ESU for Windows 7. Then yesterday I received 4 security updates. After they loaded my IBM X230 default login screen and desktop wallpaper disappeared leaving a black background. I then checked the graphics Personalize tab and saw, while the IBM desktop wallpaper showed to be loaded, it was not. I was also unable to install any other wallpaper accept the default Windows 7. I.

I tried system restore, but as usual, it errored; I uninstalled the updates, but to no avail. I then tried a back up restore and that failed. I ended up using the recovery partition and figure once I get all the pre end of support updates, I'm going to clone the ssd, so I don't have this recovery issue in the future.

"I'm going to clone the ssd, so I don't have this recovery issue in the future".

Or you could create a disk image of the OS drive and save it to an external --- I've been doing that for years, I wouldn't even dream of not having a system backup. I keep three copies of the image on three separate externals. You can never have too many backups.

I had a system backup, it just errored out. Fortunately I only use this computer for research and web browsing, so there is little to loose. My main PC has 4 different type backups. I personally like cloning because of anything occurs I can simply slip in a ssd and your ready to go. Granted the clone may not be up to date, but like I said, I don't store anything non-retrievable.