windows power plan keeps changing - how to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRE IzDOPE

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
Okay, I have windows 10 pro, and I have ryzen 7 1800x
I have the amd ryzen balanced plan
my computer runs much better when its on this plan

but ever so often I will go into the power plans and notice that its switched to high performance
or something else
im not sure if this is happening after I restart or what.. but I just had restarted cause I removed some apps from the computer.. so I decided to check it cause the cpu was running slightly hotter while doing nothing at all... just running firefox.. it was 52c its normally around 30-40c
so I checked and it was on high performance
i have literally had to switch it back at least 10 times
can someone please tell me how to fix this? how to make it where it will STAY on ryzen balanced?
i just now changed it back to ryzen balanced and the temp is now 35c
the reason I want it to stay as low as possible is because I have a gtx 1080 ti ftw3 and play alot of games

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Windows is really crappy about keeping some settings. Not sure why, I find (especially after updates) that it likes to turn on Fast Startup (I have it disabled), services that I've disabled, and other things.

Since you have Pro, I suspect you have the Group Policy Editor. This looks like it's for 8, but it may still apply to 10. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/specify-custom-active-power-plan-windows

As for you temps...all the power settings do is throttle the components (why it's called power settings, not temperature settings). Once you're gaming, everything should go to full power unless the power plan throttles things in full power mode (which will hurt your gaming performance). You'll only really notice the effects of a power plan when the computer it idling (i.e. is throttles everything down to conserve power).

TRE IzDOPE

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013

yea, that makes sense cause its when the pc is idle when i notice the most change when on ryzen balanced.. i seem to remember a few weeks ago downloading something from either microsoft or amd that was supposed to fix the power plan being changed, i dont know if a new ms update changed it back or what.. just wondering if there was a concrete way to stop it from changing.. its pretty annoying.. its like the pc is doing what it wants.. im its owner dang it! LOL

Windows is making a change to the power options. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-insider-preview-17107,36577.html . They are brand new to the operating system biz so it will have a few bugs. As you can see in the article some are getting some infinite boot loops because of the update. It's just more of M$ throwing its weight around and doing what it wants without care or reason.

Has your PC ever froze? Stopped working? Crashed? forcing you to hold the power button down for about 4 seconds? The only reason we need to use the power button when it freezes is because we can't do anything else. N O T H I N G. Fortunately it hasn't been released to the general public just yet, but it will be.

I don't think that could have caused your issue unless you are part of the Windows Insider's program.

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

Did you read the first part of my response? That link should take you to instructions on how to lock down your power plan.

TRE IzDOPE

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013

sorry bro, i had not checked out the link yet.. by your wording i didnt know u was pointing me to the link as a fix.. will def try it out

TRE IzDOPE

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013

very few situations where i had to reboot cause it froze up.. usually if a game crashed really hard.. once when using VR.. but normally it does not happen.. hopefully that wont become a thing

Status
Not open for further replies.