Question Windows problems with GTX 470 ?

rren

Commendable
Feb 2, 2021
For the past 2 wks 8-12 hrs a day I've been pulling my hair left and right! PC build started of with Win 7 for 9 yrs no problems but then I upgraded to Win 10 (don't remember version#) and it ran fine for 6 months then Win 10 auto updated to Win 10 version #2009 and hell broke loss. I tried clean install both Win 7 and Win 10 version #1507-2009 latest with no success. I clean installed and reinstalled all Nvidia drivers with no success. Black screens, blue screens, freezes, space invaders artifacts, and other glitches.

Some Nvidia drivers would make the Windows login screen full HD screen but when login it becomes black screen, freezes or sometimes if lucky I get to the desktop screen but the screen become artifacts. Safe mode is fine. Microsoft basic adapter fine. I also tried to disable and uninstall Realtex lan driver but no success. The problem is Nvidia Vs. Windows and it seems like whenever the graphics card wants to output full screen it crashes. Sorry for my English.

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev.2.0
i7 950
Zotac gtx 470
16rams
LG dvi monitor
using sata hitachi hdd

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're currently on version 20H2 for Windows 10, might want to see if you need updating. Also, how did you manage to install an older OS version for Windows 10? Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? You should also see what the BIOS version on your motherboard is at the time of writing. The X58 platform is triple channel, i.e, 6 ram slots, how are you populating the ram slots to get 16GB of ram?

We're currently on version 20H2 for Windows 10, might want to see if you need updating. Also, how did you manage to install an older OS version for Windows 10? Where did you source the installer for the OS?
version 2009 is 20H2.

@rren
Where are you getting the driver for your GTX 470? What version does the file download say? The last driver release that supports the GTX 470 is 391.35 from March 27th 2018. It's possible something in the driver release is broken and you should consider buying a new GPU.

The GT 1030 2GB DDR5 version is as fast as a GTX 470 and costs around $85-100 and is actually in stock in many webstores.

Reactions: rren

rren

Commendable
Feb 2, 2021
thankyou for all replies. I got the drivers from Nvidia up to 391.35 both of Win 7 and Win 10 because I tried installing both OS to see if I can make the graphic card work. So does that mean my graphics card is DEAD?

thankyou for all replies. I got the drivers from Nvidia up to 391.35 both of Win 7 and Win 10 because I tried installing both OS to see if I can make the graphic card work. So does that mean my graphics card is DEAD?
It looks more likely to be an incompatibility introduced in the newer versions of Windows 10, based on the quick searching I did, which is why I made the suggestion of the GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 verson. It's unfortunate, but there isn't much you can do about it except reinstall an older version of Windows 10 and stop updates or get a new or used currently supported GPU. If you don't need the system for gaming and just need something temporary, you could get a GT 710, but it's not a good card for resolutions higher than 1440p and best suited to 1080p.

rren

Commendable
Feb 2, 2021
It looks more likely to be an incompatibility introduced in the newer versions of Windows 10, based on the quick searching I did, which is why I made the suggestion of the GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 verson. It's unfortunate, but there isn't much you can do about it except reinstall an older version of Windows 10 and stop updates or get a new or used currently supported GPU. If you don't need the system for gaming and just need something temporary, you could get a GT 710, but it's not a good card for resolutions higher than 1440p and best suited to 1080p.
thankyou so much. i had tried to reinstall windows 7 with no luck. I also installed all the earliest windows 10 versions with no luck.