Howdy all. Newbie to computers here. I bought my friend's computer last
week, set it up at my house and got the internet installed. I logged on to
windows, created my username/password, etc. My problem seems to be that in
Windows messenger, my friend's email address keeps showing when i'm online.
I registered for a new .NET passport, but that doesnt' seem to have any
effect. Does anyone know what i can do here? I heard of a program called
"Window washer", but don't know exactly what it does other than.. "erases
something on windows". I've D/L msn messenger, saw the problem w/ the
profile, and then uninstalled it. D/L it again, and his profile is still
there.

Any help/wisdom would be appreciated.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%23gDwVVrMFHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Hoguet <Hoguets@comcast.net> had this to say:

> Howdy all. Newbie to computers here. I bought my friend's computer
> last week, set it up at my house and got the internet installed. I
> logged on to windows, created my username/password, etc. My problem
> seems to be that in Windows messenger, my friend's email address
> keeps showing when i'm online. I registered for a new .NET passport,
> but that doesnt' seem to have any effect. Does anyone know what i can
> do here? I heard of a program called "Window washer", but don't know
> exactly what it does other than.. "erases something on windows". I've
> D/L msn messenger, saw the problem w/ the profile, and then
> uninstalled it. D/L it again, and his profile is still there.
>
> Any help/wisdom would be appreciated.

Windows Washer's a decent application, read it's help file.

Clean up the old .NET password by clicking the start button, click on run,
type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes, click on advanced,
highlight and delete the account that you don't want to use. From the
control panel open up the accounts, select your account, and set associate
it with a passport as well.

Galen

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 04:53:59 -0500, Hoguet wrote:

> Howdy all. Newbie to computers here. I bought my friend's computer last
> week, set it up at my house and got the internet installed. I logged on to
> windows, created my username/password, etc. My problem seems to be that in
> Windows messenger, my friend's email address keeps showing when i'm online.
> I registered for a new .NET passport, but that doesnt' seem to have any
> effect. Does anyone know what i can do here? I heard of a program called
> "Window washer", but don't know exactly what it does other than.. "erases
> something on windows". I've D/L msn messenger, saw the problem w/ the
> profile, and then uninstalled it. D/L it again, and his profile is still
> there.
>
> Any help/wisdom would be appreciated.

Control Panel> Users: Select your user account. Select "manage .NET
passwords." On next window that appears, delete the info for your friend.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

In news:%23gDwVVrMFHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Hoguet <Hoguets@comcast.net> typed:

> Howdy all. Newbie to computers here. I bought my friend's
> computer
> last week, set it up at my house and got the internet
> installed. I
> logged on to windows, created my username/password, etc. My
> problem
> seems to be that in Windows messenger, my friend's email
> address
> keeps showing when i'm online.

If I bought a used computer, the first thing I would do with it
would be to reinstall the operating system cleanly. You have no
idea how the computer has been maintained, what has been
installed incorrectly, what is missing, what viruses and spyware
there may be, etc. I wouldn't want to live with somebody else's
mistakes and problems, possibility of kiddie porn, etc., and I
wouldn't recommend that anyone else do either.

Please reply to the newsgroup

TRENDING THREADS