Windows protection error?

My pc is coming up with a "windows protection error" when I try to boot up.
How can I correct this?

there are many windows protection errors, the fix is in the details
--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"paulatricities" <paulatricities@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| My pc is coming up with a "windows protection error" when I try to boot
up.
| How can I correct this?

It comes up with "Windows protection error. You need to restart your
computer. Press any key to continue......." then when you press a key the
keyboard continuously beeps and it locks up. We have run AVG antivirus,
Adware, Norton Utilities and also GOBACK and it doesn't find any viruses or
problems, but it still comes up with the same error. It will boot up in safe
mode, but it doesn't see the cdrom drives. We have tried booting on floppy
with a Win98 startup disk, to load the cdrom drive and reload windows but it
won't read the cdrom. We even ran system file check and it still didn't find
any problems. What would be the best thing to try next??

"AlmostBob" wrote:

> there are many windows protection errors, the fix is in the details
> --
> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> spybot http://security.kolla.de
> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> Catalog of removal tools (1)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> Catalog of removal tools (2)
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use
>
> Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
> _
> "paulatricities" <paulatricities@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | My pc is coming up with a "windows protection error" when I try to boot
> up.
> | How can I correct this?

there are a number of possiblities that jump to mind

second choice
In DOS mode
scanreg /restore the registry from the day before the problem began if the
problem began recently

First Choice
In safe mode, try IErepair, since internet explorer, explorer and everything
are so tightly entwined
in the tools menu of System Information (msinfo32.exe)
either find it somewhere in your start menu
or start
run
msinfo32
[tools]
Internet explorer repair tool

I like the IE repair tool as a starter

GoBack is a pig

DONT use SFC for that purpose, that may well be the cause of your problems
not the solution, SFC does not check for wrong files, it checks for
different fiiles (different from its internal database), but unless you have
updated the data for SFC everytime you install,
update,upgrade,change,reconfigure anything, the database of file version
numbers will be wrong. restoring prior versions of system files because sfc
says so, is generally considered a very bad idea
IF you have used SFC and changed file versions it is usually easier to
reformat and reinstall than it is to repair

try www.bootdisk.com for a bootdisk with cdrom support

_