Question Windows Protection Error

Richy1985

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2014
I recently installed Windows 95 - the original Windows 95, not Windows 95 running in a DOSBox - on an old Gateway motherboard of a similar vintage. 100 MHz CPU, 48 MB of RAM.

I cannot start up Windows 95 or go into Safe Mode because I receive the error: Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer. I've reinstalled the OS umpteen times and require a better solution.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Well - it cannot hurt spending some seconds typing in "have googled for solutions".

But then again, you waste my time because I won't spend hours guessing what you have tried and not tried.

Besides : I did find a whole lot of links seemingly being the solution for your problem.

SweetPete

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
Issue with SMARTDRV.EXE or RMM.PDR
The following steps can resolve any of the following errors: "Windows protection error," "IOS error," "While initializing device IOS: Windows protection error. You must restart your computer.," "While initializing IOS: Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer.," "Windows initializing device IOS: Windows protection error. IOS failed to initialize, please restart," or "Windows initializing device IOS: Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer" in Windows 95.
Temporarily rename the SMARTDRV.EXE and the RMM.PDR by following the following steps.
  1. Boot the computer to an MS-DOS prompt.
  2. Once at the DOS prompt, type:
    C: <press Enter>
    cd\windows <press Enter>
    ren smartdrv.exe smartdrv.ch <press Enter>
  3. Once smartdrv.exe is temporarily renamed, reboot the computer to determine if the issue is still present.
If the issue persists, rename the RMM.PDR by following the following steps.
  1. Boot the computer to an MS-DOS prompt.
  2. Once at the DOS prompt, type:
    C: <press Enter>
    cd\windows\system\iosubsys <press enter>
    attrib rmm.pdr -r -s -h <press enter>
    ren rmm.pdr rmm.ch <press enter>
  3. Once rmm.pdr is temporarily renamed, reboot the computer to determine if the issue is still present.

We had this on a few legacy machines, one was faulty RAM, the other ones were solved by using the above guide (Courtesy of https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000359.htm )