Windows randomly freezing

mvolkening

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
I had a pre-made lenovo, but I was getting some blue screen errors and some windows that were randomly freezing. So I started switching out some hardware. I put in a new motherboard, new power supply, new CPU fan, but the chip (i7 4770), ram, video card (nvidia gtx650), hard drive are the same. I reformatted with windows 7, and have since updated all the drivers... But I am still having my windows freeze up randomly. What could be the issue?

there are lot of reasons a system will hang, most often you would
update the BIOS, and update the motherboard drivers and remove any overclocking to fix the problem.
if you still have problems you have to have some look at the memory dump to get a good idea why it is hanging.

-------------
to debug the problem:
change the memory dump type to kernel rather than minidump
https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-US/111474

google "how to force a memory dump using a keyboard"
make the registry settings, and force a memory dump

force a memory dump while the machine is working ok.
then when the system locks up try to force a memory dump again.

put the memory dump files on a server like microsoft one drive, share the files, and post a link.

mvolkening

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Let me double check and make sure I understand what you wanted. You wanted a normal memory dump file and another file that I force dump when the video freezes up yea?

yep, I can look at the normal running memory dump first and see if there are any problems you might need to correct.
(just to save time in detecting easy problems, after I check for common problems I might need to have you make special settings)
'

mvolkening

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Well, when the video freezes and I am mid-game, I do the ctrl+scroll/scroll and it freezes the computer but it doesnt create a new memory.dmp. Any suggestions?

looking at the one memory dump, i can see that you are using microsoft generic version of intel's storage drivers and generic version of intel USB drivers. you should install the version for your motherboard:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4957#driver

if these do not work then you should install the updated versions directly from intel.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

what i figure is happended is your system goes along and the intel storage driver hits a bug and starts to read data from the hard drive incorrectly and this causes a driver to get really confused with the bad data. when you forced a memory dump the storage controller was broken because of the bug and it resulted is a corrupted memory dump produced.

I think just updating the intel storgae driver will fix the problem
----------------
looks like the memory dumps were mislabeled. I can read the one labeled (froze)
but it is not a lenovo motherboard.

machine info:

BIOS Version F9
BIOS Release Date 09/18/2015
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Product Name Z97X-SLI
Product Z97X-SLI-CF
Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Processor Voltage 8ch - 1.2V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 3800MHz
Current Speed 3400MHz

-----------------
well, the memory dump produced when there was not any problem is all messed up.
it is corrupted and could not be read by the debugger.

-you can try and update the BIOS and motherboard drivers if you have not already done so.
(bugs in the storage drivers could have corrupted the memory dump as it was being written to the disk)

-you might want to confirm your windows install is not corrupted
-yoiu might want to run a malwarebytes scan and maybe a rootkit scan

i would also download and run memtest86 to see if your memory is ok.

you might try to set the memory dump type back to a minidump after you update the BIOS and motherboard drivers then try to trigger a new memory dump while the system is working ok. I can see if the minidump has any problems.

i will download the second memory dump (froze) but I expect i will not be able to read it.

mvolkening

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Yea I mentioned Lenovo just trying to give you all the facts. It was from an old lenovo, but the motherboard information you saw is correct. I am going to try your fixes and if that doesnt work I will respond with a link to the minidumps. Thanks for all your help in this.

mvolkening

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
When I go to update the drivers (the intel storage drivers) it is telling me that the ones installed are more updated than the ones from the website. I did install the CD after I reformatted. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I downloaded the intel auto locate driver application and it found two that needed to be updated. I will update those and check the problem. I will include mini dumps if any should occur. Thanks again.

overall, i would remove the intel storage software, boot into bios and reset the bios to defaults and reboot.
then I would go into control panel device manager and look for any device that is not being installed and try to get it to work.

I would run the usbview to see if it reports a error with the usb ports.
i would look at the windows device manger and disable any sound devices that you do not have a speaker connected to.

overall i think the confused storage driver is causing the problem with not getting a memory dump. It could hang your system also

-------------
try this version of the intel storage driver. it is newer than the one on the gigabyte website.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst.html

you might try the bios update F10b, it is listed as a beta and does not say what was fixed.

or go into bios change any setting and change it back and save and exit. this will make the bios rescan and re assign interrupts and other hardware settings.

one of the internal logs indicates that your storage controller is in a UNKNOWN state.
ServiceName is "iaStorA"

the system thinks you have another device
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CA2&SUBSYS_50011458&REV_00\3&11583659&0&FB
in a unknown state and it has a start pending.

this should show up under windows control panel device manager.
I think it is a smbus driver.

there is something wrong with your USB 2 and usb 3 subsystems I could not get any of the debugger commands to work for these.

you might just go into device manager and remove and reinstall these subsystems.
or down load usbview.exe from here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm
to see if it finds a error.

you could try and just uninstall the intel storage software and see (microsoft drivers will be enough)

mvolkening

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Thanks, I will try all that and let you know.

But as a general question, what could be causing the computer to have the same problem as before. This is the same issue, albeit happening at a less frequent rate, but this is the main problem why I had started to make some changes to the computer. Could it be a HD problem? or RAM? I had tested both, but I dont know what the mini dump shows you.

I would o my be guessing. It is better to fix the problems that we can see with your system and go from there. And turn on debugging to help. Then swap out parts if you have to. Drives can have bugs in the electronics and firmware. But at the same time it could be the bios support for the data driver, the data driver, or malware infecting a storage driver. Even a usb device plugged in can cause a storage driver to stop working.
I would get the storage driver problem fixed, then maybe the second driver that was not loaded, then try to figure out why the usb system was not running correctly.

mvolkening

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
I still have my old video card plugged in, in case that was the issue and I am running off the integrated video card on the mother board... I wonder if that could be PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CA2&SUBSYS_50011458&REV_00\3&11583659&0&FB

mvolkening

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
I should also let you know that it seems like it is just video. When I am locked up for the few moments, I can still hear VOIP (i.e. Ventrilo/Team Speak) still talking in the background.

And when the video is locked up, internet windows wont load until it passes.

I have reset the BIOS, but nothing new.

mvolkening

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Well. I think I have tried all that you wanted me to try, but to no avail. I guess I will just start replacing ram and HDs soon. Nothing else ive tried seems to have worked. Thanks for all the help, i wish we were able to figure it out.