[SOLVED] Windows randomly pops up to end itself, on restart the bios doesn't recognize the hard drive.

msimsin

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
Two days ago while I was watching something on youtube the PC that I've had for seven years suddenly kind of froze but my mouse could still move. A few seconds later it did this whole shut down process which didn't end so I forced shutdown by pressing I/O. When I started it the BIOS ddn't recognize the hard drive. I Unpluged the power supply for a few seconds then started it again and BIOS recognized the hard drive. I check S.M.A.R.T. thinking it's the hard drive (which I haven't check in a few years). It read 05 as raw value 72 and C5 and C6 as raw value 552. I just assumed it was the hard drive and backed all my stuff and then thought I'll run it till it dies and buy a new one. I ran "Optimize and defragment drive" and "Error checking" found in the properties menu of the drive thinking it might show more errors in S.M.A.R.T. and confirm it but it didn't make change anything.

Yesterday, no problem but a strange noise that lasts around a second happened five or six times. Usually I hear it once a month or so for as long as I've owned the PC. I'm not sure what it is and it's sporadic and short so I can't really tell where it's coming from.

Three hours ago (The computer had been running for about two.) I came back to find Linux (I have two hard drives) was loaded. I restarted and BIOS only showed one hard drive so I unplugged the computer again. S.M.A.R.T. still read 72 and 552 so I thought it might be something else. I took my computer out and cleaned it and switched the SATA ports on both hard drives from ports 6 & 4 to ports 5 & 3. Started the computer and left.

Windows was on when I left. I came back maybe twenty minutes ago to a screen saver. I moved my mouse to wake it up and tried to open a program on the desktop and it did the pop up to end a program window with the header of Windows or Microsoft Windows... something like that. This time when I restarted it, it went straight to Windows. (BIOS recognized the hard drive.)

It literally just made the sound twice as I finished the last paragraph about six seconds between the two... It's like a Pa-chnk. I have no idea what it is and Pa-chnk doesn't really sound anything like it... It kind of reminds me of old cpus under stress. quite a bit louder though...

The noise happened again while rereading what I wrote. I haven't done anything other than write and read this.

Any ideas? Could it be something mechanical in the drive that S.M.A.R.T. doesn't track. Maybe the noise is a weird coincedence and it's something wrong with Windows?

I checked The CPU with Intel's Diagonistic tool and it passed yesterday.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Two days ago while I was watching something on youtube the PC that I've had for seven years suddenly kind of froze but my mouse could still move. A few seconds later it did this whole shut down process which didn't end so I forced shutdown by pressing I/O. When I started it the BIOS ddn't recognize the hard drive. I Unpluged the power supply for a few seconds then started it again and BIOS recognized the hard drive. I check S.M.A.R.T. thinking it's the hard drive (which I haven't check in a few years). It read 05 as raw value 72 and C5 and C6 as raw value 552. I just assumed it was the hard drive and backed all my stuff and then thought I'll run it till it dies and buy a new one. I ran "Optimize and defragment drive" and "Error...

Pedro sachez

Great
Jan 22, 2020
Two days ago while I was watching something on youtube the PC that I've had for seven years suddenly kind of froze but my mouse could still move. A few seconds later it did this whole shut down process which didn't end so I forced shutdown by pressing I/O. When I started it the BIOS ddn't recognize the hard drive. I Unpluged the power supply for a few seconds then started it again and BIOS recognized the hard drive. I check S.M.A.R.T. thinking it's the hard drive (which I haven't check in a few years). It read 05 as raw value 72 and C5 and C6 as raw value 552. I just assumed it was the hard drive and backed all my stuff and then thought I'll run it till it dies and buy a new one. I ran "Optimize and defragment drive" and "Error checking" found in the properties menu of the drive thinking it might show more errors in S.M.A.R.T. and confirm it but it didn't make change anything.

Yesterday, no problem but a strange noise that lasts around a second happened five or six times. Usually I hear it once a month or so for as long as I've owned the PC. I'm not sure what it is and it's sporadic and short so I can't really tell where it's coming from.

Three hours ago (The computer had been running for about two.) I came back to find Linux (I have two hard drives) was loaded. I restarted and BIOS only showed one hard drive so I unplugged the computer again. S.M.A.R.T. still read 72 and 552 so I thought it might be something else. I took my computer out and cleaned it and switched the SATA ports on both hard drives from ports 6 & 4 to ports 5 & 3. Started the computer and left.

Windows was on when I left. I came back maybe twenty minutes ago to a screen saver. I moved my mouse to wake it up and tried to open a program on the desktop and it did the pop up to end a program window with the header of Windows or Microsoft Windows... something like that. This time when I restarted it, it went straight to Windows. (BIOS recognized the hard drive.)

It literally just made the sound twice as I finished the last paragraph about six seconds between the two... It's like a Pa-chnk. I have no idea what it is and Pa-chnk doesn't really sound anything like it... It kind of reminds me of old cpus under stress. quite a bit louder though...

The noise happened again while rereading what I wrote. I haven't done anything other than write and read this.

Any ideas? Could it be something mechanical in the drive that S.M.A.R.T. doesn't track. Maybe the noise is a weird coincedence and it's something wrong with Windows?

I checked The CPU with Intel's Diagonistic tool and it passed yesterday.

Thanks in advance!
I had a simmilar issue 2 years ago i got a 20dollar ssd just make sure it has dram i loaded a new copy of windows on that and the issue went away been using without issues ever since

Solution

msimsin

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
So corrupt Windows or HDD... If that noise is any indication it's a bad drive... I'll run it on the other HDD with linux for a few days and if the noise disappears I'll get a new one... Thanks Pedro!

msimsin

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
On the second drive the noise stopped. I found a different smart application. "gsmartcontrol". It has an error log that refers directly to the instances mentioned. Further It also features a self-test system. I did the extended self test twice. Both times it failed ~40% of the way in. with an "LBA of first error"at 1969352400 and 1969352376 respectively. I'm almost 100% certain the drive has met it's end.