Question Windows reactivation after Motherboard change?

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
I have a b450 motherboard that im going to replace with an x570 (its coming in the mail)... what do i do about windows 10? i have read a bit on reactivating after a hardware change and am still a bit confused... i have gone to the activation settings and it says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account". With that being said i can navigate the activation process need be, but am i going to even be able to get into windows? kinda dumb question cause wouldnt windows boot off the drive i have it assigned to any way just with the watermark in the corner? and then log in to my Microsoft account and easy peasy?

USAFRet

Titan
"Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"

If so, you are probably good.

After the new install with the new hardware, the OS runs just fine. You activate it by going into the Activation Troubleshooter, and following the steps for "I recently changed hardware"

Activation status does not preclude operational status.

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
"Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"

If so, you are probably good.

After the new install with the new hardware, the OS runs just fine. You activate it by going into the Activation Troubleshooter, and following the steps for "I recently changed hardware"

Activation status does not preclude operational status.
thanks for the timely response... im not a total idiot ha, just unsure how this would pan out

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I have a b450 motherboard that im going to replace with an x570 (its coming in the mail)... what do i do about windows 10? i have read a bit on reactivating after a hardware change and am still a bit confused... i have gone to the activation settings and it says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account". With that being said i can navigate the activation process need be, but am i going to even be able to get into windows? kinda dumb question cause wouldnt windows boot off the drive i have it assigned to any way just with the watermark in the corner? and then log in to my Microsoft account and easy peasy?
Is it OEM or retail copy of Windows 10? That will make a difference when activating. With OEM. Activation is tied to the Motherboard. So if you changed the MoBo. It won't activate. Where as a retail key., will on any system.

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Is it OEM or retail copy of Windows 10? That will make a difference when activating. With OEM. Activation is tied to the Motherboard. So if you changed the MoBo. It won't activate. Where as a retail key., will on any system.
no its on this comp i built about a year ago... ironically its the same specs you have lol (roughly, i have only a 3600x and only a 2tb hdd)