[SOLVED] Windows recognizes audio devices, but produces no sound through any audio jack

willzter166

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Hi,
So I have been using a headset with its own soundcard for the past few years, but recently, the microphone on it broke. I went out and got a condenser mic with a phantom power supply, and after connecting it all up, I realised that no audio ports on my PC worked - neither front nor back. I confirmed this by plugging in various other (functioning) audio devices, both headsets and microphones, all with no luck. It appears as though the only audio devices that function for me are ones plugged in via USB or other connections that are not 3.5mm jacks. The connections between microphone, power supply and PC are definitely correct.
  • The headset I use has an 3.5mm audio jack that goes into a soundcard, which goes into a USB port. This still works.
  • I've tried reinstalling audio drivers.
  • I've ran troubleshooters.
  • I've made sure the audio driver I use is the correct one for my motherboard.
  • Audio connections to monitor speakers function fine via displayport and HDMI.
  • And I've made sure all levels in sound manager are up, and that all devices are on and active, and set as default.
Windows and Realtek will recognize that a device is plugged in and connected via their interfaces, but no sound can be heard or recorded.

This means that I can continue using the headset with the sound card plugged in via USB, but the microphone remains non-functional until I can work out why my audio jacks don't work at all.

I cannot pinpoint when this problem started as I have rarely used 3.5mm audio jacks on my PC in the past, but I know that since I last used them, I have bought a new case and more ram. I doubt missed connections when installing a new case is the problem, as the back 3.5mm jacks are integrated straight into the motherboard.

My relevant specs are as follows:
Thermaltake H200 TG mid tower
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic motherboard
16gb HyperX Fury DDR4 ram
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2060

Any help would be greatly appreicated.
Cheers,
Will

Solution
Ok can you name the brand and model of your sound card and headset and the driver which you installed.
Well I'm pretty sure I was just using the onboard sound card when it worked. But I've resigned fixing it as I could not find any leads to solving the issue in the last few days. The best solution I can recommend to anyone with a similar issue is just to buy an external or USB sound card, or even just an adapter, which seems to have fixed it for me, and probably will for you too.

willzter166

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Windows up to date?
Tried the headset with other PC?
Why don't you use motherboard's audio jack?
I've made sure to check windows updates and yes it's all up to date. I tried and tested all my audio devices and yes they work fine on other PCs. The motherboard's audio jacks are the problem, none of the jacks on both the front and back panels work. Obviously those that are on the latter are connected directly to the MB.

Last edited:

willzter166

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Ok can you name the brand and model of your sound card and headset and the driver which you installed.
Well I'm pretty sure I was just using the onboard sound card when it worked. But I've resigned fixing it as I could not find any leads to solving the issue in the last few days. The best solution I can recommend to anyone with a similar issue is just to buy an external or USB sound card, or even just an adapter, which seems to have fixed it for me, and probably will for you too.

Solution

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
That means the problem was your sound card.