[SOLVED] Windows reinstall after CPU change?

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Please keep it to 1 thread
Kind of a stupid question, so hopefully a quick response.... I have a Ryzen 5 3600X in my PC ATM. I have a Christmas gift in the mail that's a Ryzen 7 5800x. I'll use the same x570 board I have, but will windows freak out and not boot/deactivate when I change CPUs?

Solution
Windows reinstall not necessary after cpu change, this is more for if you changed motherboard chipsets, mash of registry entries wouldn't favour performance and stability. Activation state won't change, this only happens if motherboard is swapped for another. MS digital license is tied to the motherboard, that's why.

As for ram, try it and see. Again, no Windows reinstall.

Only possible issue changing cpus with higher core count is Windows may limit cores. If it does all you do is go to msconfig and deselect number of processors and reboot if Windows checks this option itself. Happens sometimes, no big deal fixing it.

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Kind of a stupid question, so hopefully a quick response.... I have a Ryzen 5 3600X in my PC ATM. I have a Christmas gift in the mail that's a Ryzen 7 5800x. I'll use the same x570 board I have, but will windows freak out and not boot/deactivate when I change CPUs? Also what about if I change RAM? The kit I have is 3200mhz and my neighbor just got an am5 board for the 7000s chips and is giving me 3600mhz (same Corsair vengeance stuff)

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Kind of a stupid question, so hopefully a quick response.... I have a Ryzen 5 3600X in my PC ATM. I have a Christmas gift in the mail that's a Ryzen 7 5800x. I'll use the same x570 board I have, but will windows freak out and not boot/deactivate when I change CPUs? Also what about if I change RAM? The kit I have is 3200mhz and my neighbor just got an am5 board for the 7000s chips and is giving me 3600mhz (same Corsair vengeance stuff)

No there is no need to reinstall any os's or any of that only time a reinstal or similar is needed Is if you replace the hdd add with os info on it

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Windows reinstall not necessary after cpu change, this is more for if you changed motherboard chipsets, mash of registry entries wouldn't favour performance and stability. Activation state won't change, this only happens if motherboard is swapped for another. MS digital license is tied to the motherboard, that's why.

As for ram, try it and see. Again, no Windows reinstall.

Only possible issue changing cpus with higher core count is Windows may limit cores. If it does all you do is go to msconfig and deselect number of processors and reboot if Windows checks this option itself. Happens sometimes, no big deal fixing it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS