windows reinstall with new mobo

Epicness937

Honorable
BANNED
hi i just upgraded a prebuilt pc and my question is after upgradeing the gpu motherboard cpu ram and psu if windows needs to be reinstalled?
and if it is reinstalled is everything lost on that pc or can i avoid it?

if you reinstall it on same hard disk without formatting, windows pretty much moves old version to windows.old folder.
You would need to reinstall all the programs though, only data is kept "safe" (no excuse to not backup critical things before reinstall)
The bigger problem is that majority of windows licenses are OEM and thus will not allow you to change motherboard without buying new license.

Epicness937

Honorable
BANNED

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02743409
this is the pc i upgraded if that helps

WangGang

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016

Some people say that you have to reinstall windows, but for some reason when I switched mobos I didn't need to re-install the OS. You can try not re-installing it, and see what happens.

if it an intel mb and you went from z77 to a newer chipset you may not have to reinstall windows but you have to do "microsoft..my old my burnt out and this is the replacement i was given" trick to key you old windows active. going from amd mb to intel the chipset drivers are not the same and windows will puke blue screen all over itself. have to force your self into the os f8 remove the older drivers if you can to see if it stable.

Epicness937

Honorable
BANNED

this upgrade was from a amd am3 motherboard to a amd am3+ motherboard