• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

[SOLVED] Windows-related processes not responding to keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

comedian101

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
I've just upgraded my CPU from a Ryzen 5 1600 to a 3700x, with the whole installation and boot up going smoothly. However, as soon as I get into Windows, I noticed something was off.

At the login screen, I usually press the space bar or another key to get to my PIN code. Now, however, it no longer responds to any keypresses at all. I have to click and drag with my mouse in order to get in.

Windows start and Windows search also don't respond to my keyboard. As in they don't type anything in when I type. Neither does Windows Explorer. Powershell works fine.

The keyboard works in all non-windows related apps, but not anything Windows. What could be the problem? Any Ideas?

Edit: I found the problem and was able to fix it. Ctfmon wasn't running. All I needed to do was open Run with Win + R and type in C:\Windows\System32\ctfmon.exe. Bam, just like that, it was fixed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS