windows repair will not accept my homegroup$ password

KJXLG

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
i try to run windows repair in f8 on a windows 7 home edition laptop.. (ASUS) It will not accept my homegroup$ password. I know the password is correct. what can I do?

RealBeast

Titan
You can delete your homegroup link on all the machines and create a new one (with a new password) on all machines, this happens to me about once a year and that seems to be the fastest solution that I've come up with.

I'd love to hear about a better solution though.

Luke Cool

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
This is true, remove the password on all of the computers you are putting on the new Homegroup, pick a host, then start from the beginning. Installing static IPs will solve your disappearing connection problem. After power is removed from a computer, DHCP (auto connect) has to reestablish all of your connections. Using static IPs eliminates this problem.

I'd love to hear about a better solution also. I ran into one that this did not work on. The new password will not go in. I enter the password, then the wait symbol on the password box never goes away.

RealBeast

Titan
IPv4 static connections are not helpful for this problem since homegroups use IPv6.

You need to go to the homegroup page on every computer and "leave the homegroup" and then create a homegroup on one computer, and set your share libraries by checking all desired boxes. Then on every other computer (that has already left the homegroup that it was on) join the homegroup using the same code as the first computer. And be careful some letters and numbers look alike -- L and one for example.

Also AFAIK Windows Starter (an uncommon version on little ASUS laptops and whatnot) requires a password on its login to connect to a homegroup.