Question Windows reserve 4.5gpu memory

Clariska

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
Good day everyone. My brother wanted to throw away a pc that didni't work. So i took it i fixed it up but now half of the ram are reserved. The specs are as follow

Motherboard F1A75-M LE
Cpu 3870k
GPU onboard 6550D
GPU ram 2gb got it set to 1gb
Ram 2x4gb DDR3
SSD 120gb adata U650

Reason why i set it to 1gb. With 2gb it leaves me with 68 free ram. As i thought that the reserve is for the gpu but if i change the vram size it uses the available ram
I did try different ram. I tried different settings. Now i had this problem on my Ryzen 5 2600 and i got it sorted by changing something in my ram settings(can't remember what)
Now this mobo has 20 or so ram settings but idk what to change as it usually have 2 values. Some has more. Any ideas what may cause this? I want to buy 2x8gb modules
but won't do this while this problem persist.

Clariska

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
Set it to 64MB instead.

I am actually using the onboard for now to run titan quest which i think needs 256mb but i also have other games that require 512mb+. i am planning to get a small gpu later like a 1050 or the ti version.
I mainly set it up for when my brother comes to visit for a weekend(which is today) myself my brother and my sister in law can play some games.
I am alittle scrap for cash at the moment. I just don't understand how an apu can use 4.5gb reserve if the gpu memory still runs on physical memory

Can you show any screenshots?
Task Manager - Performance/Memory section,​
Resource Monitor - Memory Tab,​
CPU-Z - memory and spd sections.​
Control Panel - System.​

(upload to imgur.com and post links)

What windows version are you using? Are you sure, it's 64bit and not 32bit version?

Clariska

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
8gb.png

reserve-ram.png

Sorry for late reply was at work. There are both i am running windows 7 i tried windows 11 and windows 10 both are the same. Was hoping that it would not have this problem when i run an os that was released when this pc came out. I am planning to stick with win 7 for now. I added a gt 610 just to test and it only gave me 512mb ram back that was used for the apu.

Clariska

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
It looks like you're using 32bit version of windows.
If so, then you won't be able to access more than 4GB of your ram (doesn't matter, how much ram you have installed).
i am using 64 bit
64-bit.png
I am also a technician in my spare time. This happened to my R5 2600. When i manually dialed in my ram settings it fixed it. That's not happening here. I tried everything. I know apu's tend to have a problem with ram usage as i read up this is common with apu's all i need to know is how to fix it. I tried to google it and like always sister google doesn't help :eek:. A lot of people have this problem on newer apu's but usually, it gets fixed by setting up the ram. This pc doesn't have that luxery.

TRENDING THREADS