LuciaRomano

Commendable
Jul 16, 2019
Alright, so basically Windows is, for whatever reason, reserving 4gb of ram which just happens to be exactly half of my usable ram and its affecting my games which is pretty much all I do so it sucks a lot.

I have two sticks of 4GB ram of DDR3 in the system (Old PC, no spare money to update it)

I've tried every possible solution that I could find on the internet, Youtube, this forum, and others, but nothing worked... I've tried the msconfig stuff, I've tried taking it out and reseating it, cleaning them + cleaning the RAM socket on the motherboard and simply trying the other slots, I've run the windows memory diagnostics and any other 3rd party memory testing softwares all of which said everything was fine, and both windows and bios say I have 8gb dual channel but it just reserved 4gb.

The only thing I haven't tried is putting them into another machine/putting new ram into this machine because no one else but me still uses DDR3 so I've got no friends who has a computer I can actually test the, with.

Screenshot of the Memory tab in my Task Manager

Nothing worked until I was desperate and did a BIOS update as suggested by one of the sites I checked out and to their credit, it did fix it. Windows reserved normal amounts of RAM and 8GB was usable again.

However, my PC froze as I was playing a game to test to see if the problems I were experiencing would persist or not and when I rebooted it; Windows reserved 4gb again.

So........ In all honesty, my PC is old, been using it since like 2013 and all signs, in my opinion, point to faulty memory (despite all programs saying my ram is fine) but I cannot afford to replace them. I've been trying to buy new parts for years but I literally cannot spare any expenses otherwise I would have just replaced them RAM.

I need the help of you wizards. I can't buy new parts for the foreseeable future so I need your help to diagnose the problem and try to fix it to the best of your abilities.

I also believe this to be related to my other question about my PC slowing down and speeding back up since ya'll have said it seems to be a memory problem which would make sense so, please, any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

LuciaRomano

Commendable
Jul 16, 2019
Well turned off my PC and reseated the memory and again Windows is saying I have 8gb again.

I have yet to try to play any games (which is where it froze last time) so idk yet. Will post an update when I do to find out.

Any help is appreciated, even if it doesn't end up working! :)

TRENDING THREADS