Question Windows reset not working

Martinbest

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
I am factory reseting my laptop but it keeps saying this can take a few minutes. What should I do I really want to factory reset my laptop because I'm selling it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if it doesn't seem to be going anywhere, the best answer is to clean install win 10 as then you get latest build and won't have any old drivers on it that may not even match the operating system
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

Reactions: PC Tailor

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you keeping the licence or selling it with PC?

Do you know if licence was linked to your Microsoft account or not? Since version 1607 of Windows 10, MIcrosoft will link the licence to any email address you had attached to your user, so if you had an email address linked to user, Win 10 may have linked licence to it rather than PC

If the reset doesn't work above, and you have to fresh install, set up your user as normal and then try a reset again, as its the only way to get to spot you want to be in

If you selling the licence:
If you're planning to sell or gift your Windows 10 device or Xbox One console, here are some things to do to make sure that you have removed all your personal info.

For a Windows 10 device
First, back up any info that you want to save and then reset your device:

1. Select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Backup > Add a drive, and then choose an external drive.
  2. Once you've backed up the info you need, select the Start button, select Settings > Update and security > Recovery.
  3. Under Reset this PC, select Get started, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
Once you've reset your device, remove it from your device list. Sign in to account.microsoft.com/devices, select Manage device limits, find the device you want to remove, and then select Remove.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...nt-selling-gifting-windows-10-device-xbox-one