Windows resize and move when changing resolution - absolutely unsolveable?

THK

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
First of all, I apologize for opening up a subject that's been discussed many times on various forums, but the solution was never actually found.

It's about a common situation with Windows 7 or later, where your currently open windows (and even some tray programs) resize and move to upper-left or bottom-right corner after changing resolutions, especially after leaving old fullscreen games (which work on lower, non-native resolutions).

I've tried many tools that supposedly save and restore windows positions and sizes, but without success. People said there's actually no solution, only to play games on your screen's native resolution, but old pre-HD games can't be played that way.

However, one fact remains - it did NOT happen in XP. As far as I know, pre-Vista Windows did not use GPU for drawing desktop (because they had no Aero), but I don't see how that is relevant. True, I used a CRT monitor when I was using XP, but it switched resolutions when playing games even more, and windows were not resized or moved:

Old PC = Radeon 9700, 17" CRT (1024x768) via D-SUB, Windows XP
Desktop 1024x768, many open windows (both normal and maximized), run Diablo 2 at 800x600 (with cinematics at 640x480), exit game = windows unaffected, tray apps windows unaffected

Current PC = Radeon HD 7750, 22" LCD (1920x1080) via DVI, Windows 7
Desktop 1920x1080, many open windows (both normal and maximized), run Diablo 2 at 800x600 (with cinematics at 640x480), exit game = Chrome window shrunk, uTorrent severely shrunk and moved top-left, Avast from tray thrown to bottom-right (and it wasn't even opened)

So I believe the problem does indeed lie somewhere in Windows 7 (probably around GPU / Aero / DWM), and I'm even prepared to try XP on my current machine just to see if it shows up there.

If you have a video card, Windows used it to draw the desktop, that is why there is a 2D engine as well as a 3D one.

You have way too many variables there, not just the OS is different, you are using differetn video cards, different video connections and different monitors. Make everything the same aside from the OS and then you can start seeing what may be different.