Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them

HoneyNut

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
Recently I've been getting many driver errors on my windows 8.1 laptop. The laptop came with 8.1, and no CD came with it :/.

The most recent error is called "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS OT EQUAL"
I searched it up, and many suggested to run a sfc scan in the command prompt, and after scanning this came up "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\Cbs.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log." I also searched this on the internet, and people suggested to do something with the windows CD (Which I don't have).

Do you guys know any solutions to this? Please be easy on the terms, I'm sorta new to this

Solution
you normally would start a admin cmd.exe prompt
(windows key+x then type the A key)

then run the system file checker utility in windows

sfc.exe /scannow

this tool will attempt to locate and replace corrupted files from the backup copy stored locally on your machine in the driver store.

if the tool fails at a repair, it generally means that the backup copy is also corrupted. In this case you need to then run the dism.exe command

start the cmd.exe as a admin (win key+x then type A)

then run
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth
if that runs an error then run
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
then run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /retorehealth
(this last command gets a...
you normally would start a admin cmd.exe prompt
(windows key+x then type the A key)

then run the system file checker utility in windows

sfc.exe /scannow

this tool will attempt to locate and replace corrupted files from the backup copy stored locally on your machine in the driver store.

if the tool fails at a repair, it generally means that the backup copy is also corrupted. In this case you need to then run the dism.exe command

start the cmd.exe as a admin (win key+x then type A)

then run
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth
if that runs an error then run
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
then run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /retorehealth
(this last command gets a copy of the file from a trusted online source)

after you are done, you want to reboot your system and
run the system file checker again to confirm that the corrupt files are gone. (some virus infections just corrupt the files again)

Solution

Hellcatm

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008

Its
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

you missed the "s" in restore

But that did work. Thank you!

sorry, just another typo

TRENDING THREADS