Question "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."

CxRizzle

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Ran sfc /scannow and got this error. Decided to do a fresh start install of Windows and am getting the same error.

Came across this article from last month, and it said the error could be something wrong on Windows end, specifically Windows Defender, and they'll be patching it in the near future. My friend with a Windows 10 PC is getting the same error. Anyone else getting this? I wanna make sure it's not something wrong with my hardware.

My computer seems to be running fine other than the sfc error.

If you're reading this, and you're on windows 10, please try run a sfc /scannow command and let me know if you too are getting the error. According to that article, most, if not all of us should be having the same issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I just ran sfc /scannow in powershell with admin rights and it finished with no corrupt files
I am on windows 10 1903 build 18362.239 so it appears that problem is fixed?

have you tried this

search for powershell
right click the app result and run as admin
copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

This command cleans image files that sfc uses to fix the files, re run SFC /scannow and restart PC

Last edited:

CxRizzle

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
I just ran sfc /scannow in powershell with admin rights and it finished with no corrupt files
I am on windows 10 1903 build 18362.239 so it appears that problem is fixed?

have you tried this

search for powershell
right click the app result and run as admin
copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
This command cleans image files that sfc uses to fix the files, re run SFC /scannow and restart PC
Would the fact I'm using CMD make a difference? I typed in sfc /scannow and the command you mentioned in CMD and got the error. Haven't tried powershell.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I will run it again in command prompt. I would expect to get the same result.

it was faster than it ran in powershell but i don't normally run it twice in 1 day
Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations

Powershell was meant to replace command prompt as it does share most of the commands now.

It works in both CMD & Powershell on my PC so what version of windows are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you try the command I linked? Often when SFC cannot finish, running the DISM command fixes it... that is what the 2nd command is. It fixes the image files SFC uses to check installed files.

Sometimes the dism command will return an error asking for source.

If you are on version 1903 already and you get the source error, you can do this to fix it:
Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

If you manually type the above command in, the spacing has to match or you will just get another error.