[SOLVED] Windows Restarting, then SSD not found.

Valstorm

Reputable
Oct 9, 2016
So I've been using my desktop and every now and then I get a BSOD with the "System Service Exception" error code. Upon restarting, I'm taken to the BIOS and my boot drive isn't read. Normally my solution is to power down the system, flick the power supply to "off", hit the power button (so basically I'm power cycling the system), flick the switch back on, and start the system back up. Then it works normally. This is random, and it happens every 3-4 weeks on average. Since I'm using PCIe 4.0, which is still somewhat new, I was guessing it was just some issue with the interface. However, when you're coding in HTML5 and you lose an hour of progress, it can start to become infuriating. I've run powershell and checked my registry, there are no integrity violations. All disks are "okay" as well, no issues with them. Hard drive is de-fragged, SSDs are both trimmed, and CPU never exceeds 81 degrees.
Specs:
  1. Enermax Saberey White ATX Case (not that it matters much)
  2. AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (Cooler: MSI Frozr XL)
  3. MSI X570 MEG ACE motherboard
  4. Kingston HyperX Fury RAM (3200MHz, 4x16GB=64GB)
  5. Sabrent Rocket PCIe 4.0 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
  6. TeamGroup 1TB SATA3 SSD (For games that take forever to load)
  7. WD Black 5TB Hard Drive
  8. Nvidia RTX 2070 (MSI Gaming Z)
  9. SATA3 Blu-Ray Drive
  10. Seasonic 1000W power supply (80+ Titanium-rated)
  11. USB 3.0 Expansion card (I have a lot of USB devices)
  12. Windows 10 Pro (I check updates twice a week and instantly install them, so if you're asking about whether it is updated or not, it is)

ANY insight on this issue would help immensely. The less work I lose over random restarts, the better!

If I need to provide any files, just let me know.

Solution
For the BSOD - Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

boot thing...

Its always possible your PC is formatted as UEFI boot and on the restart, the PC swaps its boot process to Legacy and it can't find a GPT drive as it doesn't know what they are. On page 68 of your motherboard manual it says

Boot Mode Select [LEGACY+UEFI]
Sets the system boot mode from legacy or UEFI...

Colif

Win 11 Master
For the BSOD - Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

boot thing...

Its always possible your PC is formatted as UEFI boot and on the restart, the PC swaps its boot process to Legacy and it can't find a GPT drive as it doesn't know what they are. On page 68 of your motherboard manual it says

Sets the system boot mode from legacy or UEFI architecture depending on OS installation requirement. This item will become un-selectable and will be configured automatically by BIOS when BIOS UEFI/CSM Mode sets to UEFI.

[UEFI] Enables UEFI BIOS boot mode support only.
[LEGACY+UEFI] Enables both Legacy BIOS boot mode and UEFI BIOS boot mode.

Look on Page 66 of the manual.

Windows OS Configuration
Sets Windows detailed configuration and behaviors. Press Enter to enter the submenu.

BIOS UEFI/CSM Mode [CSM]
Select CSM (Compatibility Support Module) or UEFI mode to meet the system
requirement.
[CSM] - For the non-UEFI driver add-on devices or non-UEFI mode OS.
[UEFI] - For the UEFI driver add-on devices and UEFI mode OS.

Secure Boot
Sets the Windows secure boot to prevent the unauthorized accessing. Press Enter
to enter the sub-menu. This sub-menu will appear when BIOS UEFI/CSM Mode
sets to UEFI.

If you change the windows OS Config to UEFI then it will disable Legacy boot and turn on Secure boot option.

Last edited:
Solution

Valstorm

Reputable
Oct 9, 2016

boot thing...

Sets the system boot mode from legacy or UEFI architecture depending on OS installation requirement. This item will become un-selectable and will be configured automatically by BIOS when BIOS UEFI/CSM Mode sets to UEFI.

[UEFI] Enables UEFI BIOS boot mode support only.
[LEGACY+UEFI] Enables both Legacy BIOS boot mode and UEFI BIOS boot mode.

Look on Page 66 of the manual.

Windows OS Configuration
Sets Windows detailed configuration and behaviors. Press Enter to enter the submenu.

BIOS UEFI/CSM Mode [CSM]
Select CSM (Compatibility Support Module) or UEFI mode to meet the system
requirement.
[CSM] - For the non-UEFI driver add-on devices or non-UEFI mode OS.
[UEFI] - For the UEFI driver add-on devices and UEFI mode OS.

Secure Boot
Sets the Windows secure boot to prevent the unauthorized accessing. Press Enter
to enter the sub-menu. This sub-menu will appear when BIOS UEFI/CSM Mode
sets to UEFI.

If you change the windows OS Config to UEFI then it will disable Legacy boot and turn on Secure boot option.
Small issue...the earliest file I have is from the 24th of last month, and even when I try to upload it to google drive, it says "You don't have permission to open this file. Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permissions."

Weird, considering I'm the only user and owner of this system. I can make a shareable folder though, so I'm linking it below. I have the exact message uploaded to the folder.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iCKOY6cNcSuzmQhkXAkbYqTvm-C-yGHB

Colif

Win 11 Master
copy the file to another folder
upload from the new folder to the site you are trying to use.

You don't have permissions on the original but you do on the copy. You are the only human user, the PC uses a few to do the operations you request. So SYSTEM & Trustedinstaller are 2 I could think of that likely own that folder and others on your PC.

Valstorm

Reputable
Oct 9, 2016
copy the file to another folder
upload from the new folder to the site you are trying to use.

You don't have permissions on the original but you do on the copy. You are the only human user, the PC uses a few to do the operations you request. So SYSTEM & Trustedinstaller are 2 I could think of that likely own that folder and others on your PC.
Sorry for the late reply. I added the dmp file to the drive. It's from late January, so I'm not sure how much help it'll be.