Windows Restarts By Itself, Then I Get Disk Boot Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
I seem to be having a problem with some disk boot failures. Two weeks ago, I opened up my computer and I got a disk boot failure. I manually closed the computer and opened it again afterwards, and the computer started up normally. Today, my computer opened up normally by itself. I left the computer alone for five minutes, but it restarted by itself and brought me back to the same screen that I saw two weeks which told me I had a disk boot failure. I manually closed my computer and opened it again, and the computer started up normally as well again.

Is this a sign that I may need to get a new hard drive soon, or is this software related?

Solution

Yeah its most likely a...

jdwii

Splendid

It could mean either. Do you have a copy of 7 or what ever version of windows your using so you can redo it?

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

yeah i have a copy of the windows 7 cd. i just got home and tried to open my computer but it got stuck on the green windows 7 screen displaying "Please wait..." for a few minutes. This was out of the norm so i manually restarted my computer, but then it brought me to same screen that told me about the disk boot failure. after a few times of manually closing and opening the computer, i was able to get to screen that allows to me "Start Windows Normally" among some other options. I chose the aforementioned option, and it got me to the black windows 7 screen that says "Starting." a few seconds later, the computer rebooted by itself and brought me back to the screen telling me about the disk boot failure

jdwii

Splendid

Yeah its most likely a corrupted file. But it could also be the hard drive. Try running a disc check test on Windows 7 try to rush to get to the setting before it restarts
Go to computer and right click on your windows drive and Click on tools and select Check Now, check both settings, Then it will say "Do you want to check for the hard drive errors the next time you start your computer" Click on Schedule dick check. This will not only check to see if there's something wrong with your Hard drive it will also try to fix it.

When that's done Run the Windows 7 disc(Make sure you set the Bios to boot off a disc) Under the options on the disc select something that should say repair windows, Select Start up repair. Let this go through may take 30min or so.

If Your hard drive is bad and windows can't fix it then you need a knew one and they cost a lot right now. If Windows can't find nothing wrong with your hard drive then its most likely windows and if the Start up repair option does not fix windows then try reinstalling windows with a Clean install. That is the last resort though.
Take a look at this so you know wont to see when you run the 7 disc.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Solution

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

When I turned on my computer, it brings me to a screen entitled "Windows Error Recovery" that states the following: "Windows has failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause." It asked me if I wanted to "Launch Startup Repair (Recommended)" or "Start Windows Normally". When I selected "Start Windows Normally", it allowed me to get into windows. I just scheduled a disk check. Does this new information provide any more information that can help you diagnose the situation?

jdwii

Splendid

Ok that means no issues with the Hard drive, Did you try "Repair windows" on the W7 disc or Launch Startup repair.

If you ran the schedule scan for the hard drive and got no errors that means its probably fine and their is something wrong with windows. So the next thing to do is try to repair it using the desk. If that does not fix it or it does not come with any Errors Maybe try settings your system to a earlier date on system restore make sure you set it to a date you KNOW your system was fine.

If this fails try your best to run a virus program(maybe a quick scan on windows).

If all else you might have to redo windows.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

Update: Just finished a chkdsk and there didn't seem to be any problems. it's beginning to look like the hard drive is ok. earlier, i checked the sata cables and they were slightly angled to the left. my neighborhood has experienced many small earthquakes recently and there has been some heavy construction near my home that has called some noticeable tremors.

anyway, thank you so much for all your help. :) i will provide more updates if your suggestions after chkdsk don't work and the problem still persists.

jdwii

Splendid

I'll be watching this thread.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

So I started my computer this morning, and after 2-3 minutes of use, the computer froze and I tried alt+ctrl+del while it froze but got no response. Afterwards, the computer rebooted by itself and brought me back to the same screen telling me about the disk boot failure. I manually restarted my computer and am able to access windows in safe mode. i'm not sure where to go from here. I'm looking in event viewer and one of the critical errors is Event ID 41

jdwii

Splendid

Did you try the W7 repair test? Their might be some corrupt files that can be restores and it can do this.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

brought the computer into a local tech shop and they told me i have a bad capacitor. i guess that's the end of this story :(

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

they told me i have a bulging capacitor, but i can't really tell the difference. also, sometimes i can still use my computer. is this normal? if it is, will continued use damage by PSU? i'm still using the computer while i try to get a replacement

jdwii

Splendid

Yeah its normal i'd say order a new board if its really broke and you could try to install it your self which i'll guide you threw! And i don't think your board will hurt your power supply.

Do something for me and try to redo windows i've seen to many people who try to scam customers into buying something new.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

I'll try redoing windows, but it might not matter. I think i see some capacitors on the mobo crooked. btw, thanks for your concern :) i had the same concerns about being scammed, but these guys were willing to waive their diagnostic fee because they found my problem so quickly. they didn't even offer to help me with a new build until i asked them. i also can't seem to find a replacement board because it is so old lol. exact mobo cost $350 on amazon :eek:. i will probably salvage my hard drive, psu, and case and get some newer parts

jdwii

Splendid

Yeah i was just making sure. I know a lot of bad people at those places. 350$ for a mobo that's a joke i'd build a new PC for that and reuse your DVD-ROM, PSU,Case,and Hard drive.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

I already have someone compiling a list. i can post the list here later on once he sends it to me. trying to get a budget pc that can handle low-key stuff and a little bit of gaming

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
ASUS F1A75-M LE FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
AMD A6-3650 Llano 2.6GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6530D AD3650WNGXBOX
G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNS
HIS IceQ H657QO1G Radeon HD 6570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
I just want to add that the same behavior the OP is experiencing could also be attributed to bad memory. I understand the the culprit has already found being a failing capacitor, but my first thoughts on issues like this would be to run something like Heron's or Universal Boot CD and run some basic tools, including MemTest86+, HDD tools specific to your drive, and a basic system diag for you mobo. You may have been able to determine that it was your mobo without having to spend the money on a tech who may not have much more knowledge than yourself. No slight against your tech person, but it's just my personal experience.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

thanks for your input. where do i get the universal boot cd? i googled it and got ultimate boot cd. was wondering which link it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS