Windows Restore points...

For some reason my Windows XP Home is only creating a restore point for the
previous day.

Any advice?

Thanks!

d.

XP will create a restore point every day at aprox. the same time each day.
If you install programs it will create a restore point before install.
How many restore points do you feel you need??
peter

the problem
"curleyco" <curleyco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For some reason my Windows XP Home is only creating a restore point for
> the
> previous day.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks!
>
> d.

Ok...I guess I wasn't clear enough.

Windows is NOT creating a restore point at the same time every day. The
only restore point that ever exists is ONE for the day before. There are no
other restore points available...ever...

d.

"peterk" wrote:

> XP will create a restore point every day at aprox. the same time each day.
> If you install programs it will create a restore point before install.
> How many restore points do you feel you need??
> peter
>
> --
> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
> the problem
> "curleyco" <curleyco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > For some reason my Windows XP Home is only creating a restore point for
> > the
> > previous day.
> >
> > Any advice?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > d.

So you always have that one restore point that was created yesterday....and
each day its a new restore point.
How much room did you give restore to keep restore points ??
check under MyComputer/properties...(right click)
click Sytem Restore.....click your HD and then settings.
compare that number to the size of the restore file...........you might need
to increase that size to have restore safe more than one restore point.
peterk

> Ok...I guess I wasn't clear enough.
>
> Windows is NOT creating a restore point at the same time every day. The
> only restore point that ever exists is ONE for the day before. There are
> no
> other restore points available...ever...
>
> d.
>

> "peterk" wrote:
>
>> XP will create a restore point every day at aprox. the same time each
>> day.
>> If you install programs it will create a restore point before install.
>> How many restore points do you feel you need??
>> peter
>>
>> --
>> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
>> about
>> the problem
>> "curleyco" <curleyco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > For some reason my Windows XP Home is only creating a restore point for
>> > the
>> > previous day.
>> >
>> > Any advice?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > d.

You could try at Kelly's http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
Select S and scroll to System Restore.
"curleyco" <curleyco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For some reason my Windows XP Home is only creating a restore point for
> the
> previous day.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks!
>
> d.

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
Click on System in the left pane.
Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.

System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

curleyco wrote:
> For some reason my Windows XP Home is only creating a
> restore point for the previous day.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks!
>
> d.

HI Bert,

I found this topic after a search on "Restore" and also had a look at your
site, which is very comprehensive on the topic.

I hope you don't think I'm being stupid, but I've run into a problem which I
can't seem to figure out how to solve and I can't seem to see it as an issue
on your site; it's to do with enabling monitoring on the system disk (C).

I have 3 disks:
C (60gb) - about 30% free
D (80gb) - 20% free
E (40gb) 45% free

I'm running XP Professional, and at some point must have switched off
monitoring for the C:/ drive (with the system on it). I have two other
drives, D and E, and they both are being monitored. But I tried to use a
restore point today, and got a warning that as C:/ wasn't being monitored, I
wouldn't be able to undo the restore.

I can work out how to swith off monitoring to all disks, or separately to D
and E, but can't work out how to enable monitoring again on C:

It's at this point I discover that C is always enabled, but the warning
about not being able to undo the restoration suggests there's something amiss.

I'd be grateful for any ideas!

Sorry, just to clarify, my comment below was a bit misleading:

> It's at this point I discover that C is always enabled <

What I meant to say was that it's possible that C might be enabled and just
not showing in the window - but the warning would suggest that C is not in
fact enabled