Windows says no Ethernet plugged in

korinu

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I just installed windows 7 ultimate 64bit and installed my motherboard drivers but windows wont detect a connection through LAN. My LAN is enabled and a working Ethernet cable is plugged in. My internet is also working. It's directly connected to 1 other computer and an xbox 360 as well as wireless is working. I've tried different versions of LAN drivers and all the different bios versions out for my mother board (Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H). I've also reinstalled windows multiple times and tried ubuntu as well. I'm lost and cant thing of anything else to try other than just buying a PCI WiFi or LAN can and hoping those work.
If anyone can help me I would very much appreciate it.

thank you

Solution

It failed to work in Ubuntu as well? Could you right click the Properties of the adapter and click on the Details tab, then post back the four characters which follow VEN and the four after DEV? I'd like to see who made this adapter to see if I can recreate the problem. My only thought - and I'm sure you've been through this one - is that you're stuck with 32 bit drivers.

I assume you have tried a different cable and a different port on the switch or router.

It failed to work in Ubuntu as well? Could you right click the Properties of the adapter and click on the Details tab, then post back the four characters which follow VEN and the four after DEV? I'd like to see who made this adapter to see if I can recreate the problem. My only thought - and I'm sure you've been through this one - is that you're stuck with 32 bit drivers.

I assume you have tried a different cable and a different port on the switch or router.

Solution

korinu

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010

hmm.. i believe this is it. VEN = 10EC DEV = 8168

yeah I've tried that

korinu

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I believe i fixed it. I dont know why it wasn't working but located right next to my LAN port is my usb 3.0 ports and i had a cable plugged into one. when i booted my computer without the usb 3.0 ports being used it worked.

thank you for your help Saga Lout!

Well thanks for the thanks and the BA but it looks like you fixed it yourself. Putting the DEV code into http://www.pcidatabase.com shows it's a pretty bog-standard Realtek so I doubt the driver was the problem but with USB 3.0 being so new, it's a bit disturbing to hear that might be the cause.