[SOLVED] Windows "Schedule Work" scheduled task causing issues

DaronMal

Distinguished
This task seems to be the reason I've been having issues lately with games in exclusive fullscreen locking up every 15 minutes/if I'm watching a stream or a video, the task bar pulls to the top of the windows every 15 minutes. I've narrowed it down to this 1 task because after looking for a week or 2, it came to be far too obnoxious, and I have no idea how to disable it. I found it in Task Scheduler under Microsoft>Windows>UpdateOrchestrator (big surprise...) and it's named "Schedule Work". I'm not entirely sure what "triggers" it to start but when it DOES start itself, it runs every 15 minutes on the dot. If I have anything fullscreen, it'll try to pull Explorer to the top (not file explorer, just the taskbar.)

I read a couple sites saying to use Command Prompt, which didn't work, outputs the below:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Work" /Disable ERROR: Access is denied.

There were also some that recommended Powershell, which I couldn't seem to even get a useful response out of, not sure if the syntax was wrong.

This task runs over and over and over again every 15 minutes, and then it will random just stop and I have no clue why. Is there any way to disable this task? It seems like since it's a Windows task, it's protected from being disabled, even with the Update Orchestrator service disabled.

Solution
See if fixing windows helps

right click start button

choose Windows Terminal (admin)
If it doesn't open as Powershell, select the drop down arrow in title line and choose powershell

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Otherwise you could use Process Monitor to track the process and see what interacts...

Colif

Win 11 Master
See if fixing windows helps

right click start button

choose Windows Terminal (admin)
If it doesn't open as Powershell, select the drop down arrow in title line and choose powershell

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Otherwise you could use Process Monitor to track the process and see what interacts with it - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Which version of win 11?
  1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 21H2

Solution

DaronMal

Distinguished
I have no idea how or why, but that seemed to work perfect! Since it only does these tasks at midnight I had to stay up to make sure but yeah, the listing in Task Scheduler now shows disabled instead of Ready! Thank you!