Windows Screen Resolution

drmgraj

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Hello,

I just got a new desktop, but wondering to increase the screen resolution. Right now I don't have a dedicated video card and am using HDMI through the motherboard (with an inbuilt Intel) port. I'm not sure whether a dedicated graphics card will solve the problem. Also if so, which card would be better?

my rig...
# Intel Core i5-650 3.2Ghz 4MB Cache Dual-Core
# Stock Intel LGA1156 Heatsink and Fan
# BIOSTAR TH55 HD (Intel H55 Video HDMI,PCI-E, 6xSATA, 4xDDR3)
# 4GB (2GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz Memory
# 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache Serial ATA300
# 550watt Supply

Pl. help me out here... thanks in advance

Solution
The onboard display ports are capable of the below. This is from Intel's site and the H55 specs.

PCH Display Interfaces
The PCH has four display ports, one analog and three digital ports B, C, and D. Each
port can transmit data according to one or more protocols. The digital port B can be
configured to drive natively HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort or can be connected to an
external device (SDVO) that converts one protocol to another. Examples of these are
TV encoders, external DACs, LVDS transmitters, HDMI transmitters and TMDS
transmitters. Digital ports C and D can be configured to drive natively HDMI, DVI and
DisplayPort configurations. Each display port has control signals that may be used to
control, configure and/or determine...
The onboard display ports are capable of the below. This is from Intel's site and the H55 specs.

PCH Display Interfaces
The PCH has four display ports, one analog and three digital ports B, C, and D. Each
port can transmit data according to one or more protocols. The digital port B can be
configured to drive natively HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort or can be connected to an
external device (SDVO) that converts one protocol to another. Examples of these are
TV encoders, external DACs, LVDS transmitters, HDMI transmitters and TMDS
transmitters. Digital ports C and D can be configured to drive natively HDMI, DVI and
DisplayPort configurations. Each display port has control signals that may be used to
control, configure and/or determine the capabilities of an external device.
The PCH has one dedicated analog port.
The PCH’s analog port uses an integrated 350 MHz RAMDAC that can directly drive a
standard progressive scan analog monitor up to a resolution of 2048x1536 pixels with
32-bit color at 75 Hz.
The PCH SDVO port (configured through Digital Port B) is capable of driving a 200 MP
pixel rate.
Each Digital port is capable of driving a digital display up to 2560x1600 @ 60 Hz using
DP and 1920x 1200 @ 60 Hz using HDMI, DVI
(with reduced blanking).

Solution
The maximum screen resolution is a combination of the video card (or onboard GPU) which as Jay pointed out in your case is a max of either 2560x1600 if using the Displayport or 1920x1200 if using the HDMI or DVI connector -- and the Monitor that you are using - since you do not mention the monitor it is probably the part that is limiting the options for your desktop resolution - what monitor are you using ?

drmgraj

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
thanks jay2tall... yeah I figured from your reply and got that worked out. thanks again

thanks JDFan, i use a sony 40" hdtv & asus 24" led as duals.. sort of HTPC and PC depends on the work. Though I'm getting 1920x1200 using HDMI, I don't have any idea about the display port or the connectors used for that, could you guys give some more detail these connectors?

TRENDING THREADS