[SOLVED] Windows Script Host for BackgroundTaskHost.vbs missing Pathping.exe file

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spikeysonic

Prominent
Jul 23, 2018
I have an error box saying

Windows Script Host

Script:
C:\Users\'My Username'\backgroundTaskHost\BackgroundTaskHost.vbs
Line: 3
Char: 1
Error: The system cannot find the file specified
Code : 80070002
Source (Nul)

I found the background task host file

when I opened the Background Task Host .VBS file the test was

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WScript.Sleep(11223)
WshShell.Run """C:\Users\chris\backgroundTaskHost\PATHPING.exe"""

This to me indicates there should be a pathpink.exe file

Anyone know about Pathping.exe?

why is it not there? What removed it?

I this virus activity?

How do I fix and replace it?

I have Windows 10

Solution
If that still didn't help...

what are specs of the PC? Do you have one or 2 drives?

if its only new, windows shouldn't be this broken after 1 week. If you have 2 drives, I would put anything you want to keep onto 2nd one and clean install win 10 on the other one.

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

remove 2nd hdd power while you install win 10 as it has a terrible habit of putting its boot partition on other drives.

if you only have 1 drive.,, um, got any USB? really depends on if there is anything on PC you cannot lose.

I have to go soon as its almost 4am here.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i think at this stage, the only answer would be a clean install as I suggested above. Copy anything off C you want to keep to one of your other drives, and follow the steps in the link I showed.

I guess the custom PC makers always set drives up the same way. MIght have had to change bios to let windows install it as MBR on a GPT capable system (normally win 10 insists on GPT if it sees system can run it - always possible you are GPT as until i see disk management, I can't tell)

Strange it didn't make a recovery partition when you updated to 1909, as that is how I got my first one. FIrst time I installed win 10 on this ssd it was MBR, all 1 partition, just like yours... but after a version update win 10 created a recovery partition on my ssd.

@Mandark we are getting there, just for different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.