Apr 9, 2021
Every time I run windows defender and do a full scan it always crashes after a certain percentage. BSOD error is unexpected store exception, I have windows 10 and malwarebytes installed as second antivirus

Solution
Overall, I think the PSU is a likely culprit.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

FYI:

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

Run 2 or 3 of the listed calculators along with your own manual total. If any component has a range of wattage values then use the highest listed value. Or recommended PSU wattage if that is provided.

Even a new PSU of the applicable wattage can be problematic depending on make, model, and quality. PSUs are tested in ideal, not real world, environments.

An immediate solution of sorts is to limit what all that is running. Remove apps etc, from Start up in Task Manager and use shortcuts instead so you can conveniently start and stop programs as you wish...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What is the value of that "certain percentage"?

Does the problem end if Malwarebytes is disabled and/or uninstalled?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for related error codes, warnings, and even informational events.

Apr 9, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for related error codes, warnings, and even informational events.

full system hardware specs
laptop: Dell G5 5590
cpu: Intel core i7 8750H @2.220GHZ coffee lake 14nm
ram: samsung DDR4-2667(1333MHz) 8GB single channel
motherboard: Dell Inc. 0t3cd6 (u3e1)
Graphics: Intel UHD graphics 630 (dell)
2074 MB NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060 dell sli disabled
storage : 931GB toshiba MQ04ABF100 (SATA)
119 GB BC501 NVMe SK hynix 128GB (RAID (SSD))

Reliability history
critical error windows was not properly shutdown

event viewer
critical error The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
source: kernel power
event ID: 41
Task category: 63

Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>8</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">340</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0xffff978fb6bf2000</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>

<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>

<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>

<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>

<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>

<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">3</Data>

<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>

<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>

<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">0</Data>

<Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>

malwarebytes have no effect

its random percentage, sorry my mistake

Ive run the full scan again and it works fine even with malwarebytes running but if i simultaneously run it with other power hungry programs such as google chrome and aomei partition assistant it triggers bsod

Ralston18

Titan

FYI:

Run 2 or 3 of the listed calculators along with your own manual total. If any component has a range of wattage values then use the highest listed value. Or recommended PSU wattage if that is provided.

Even a new PSU of the applicable wattage can be problematic depending on make, model, and quality. PSUs are tested in ideal, not real world, environments.

An immediate solution of sorts is to limit what all that is running. Remove apps etc, from Start up in Task Manager and use shortcuts instead so you can conveniently start and stop programs as you wish.

I would not constantly run, for example, Malwarebytes. I just run that app from time to time or after some unexpected encounter with a website that proves dubious. (Which happens when I am doing research and some promising google hit turns out to be click bait.)

Limiting what is running may be only an interim solution especially if the PSU is nearing design EOL (End of Life) thus continuing to degrade and unable to fulfill power demands/spikes.

At least you will be able to play and gain a bit more time study the problem and start thinking about a replacement PSU.

Solution
Apr 9, 2021

FYI:

An immediate solution of sorts is to limit what all that is running. Remove apps etc, from Start up in Task Manager and use shortcuts instead so you can conveniently start and stop programs as you wish.

I would not constantly run, for example, Malwarebytes. I just run that app from time to time or after some unexpected encounter with a website that proves dubious. (Which happens when I am doing research and some promising google hit turns out to be click bait.)

Limiting what is running may be only an interim solution especially if the PSU is nearing design EOL (End of Life) thus continuing to degrade and unable to fulfill power demands/spikes.

At least you will be able to play and gain a bit more time study the problem and start thinking about a replacement PSU.

ok thanks for the tips but does laptops have psu in them??

Dell Power cord adapter
Model no. HA180PM180
180w
Output: ac adapter 19.5V/9.23A
Input: 100-240V~2.34A 50-60Hz
Condition: OEM good

Battery: LGC-LGC3.985 DELL 8622M91 59.99Wh/3.46Ah

I would also like to ask does extension cord affect power supply? cause its connected to it right now.

Ralston18

Titan
Laptops are designed to get their power from a battery. However, the battery is charged and kept (hopefully) charged via an external PSU.

Which is the charger.

Likely this charger for your laptop provided I correctly identified laptop and charger:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dell...ocphy=9007866&hvtargid=pla-387749775483&psc=1

A good quality extension cord should not affect the power supply/charger.

Many laptop users carry an extension cord for those situations when the wall/power outlet is just inches out of reach.

Cheap (meaning low quality) and counterfeit extension cords, power strips, and surge protectors are a risk to any device being plugged into them.

Stay out of the discount bins....

Reactions: Tomatocultivator