Windows Security Enter Password

chris9486

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2013
We've recently upgraded to stand alone windows 8 at work (20 computers) we have a NAS drive, a Seagate BlackArmour 110 NAS, and it just will not work with any of the Windows 8 machines. We have one Vista machine that is waiting for an upgrade, it is used 9-5 mon to fri so it is hard to get on and upgrade. The NAS drive works fine with this machine.

We were on Windows XP, Vista and 7 before and thought it would be better to have them all running the same, to make my job easier. (they cant afford a server or someone to maintain it, it is a charity org) The NAS drive could easily be accessed by anyone in the building, just click it in network and it was there, 8 folders with no passwords and 2 folders protected by passwords.

Now we cannot even access the drive as a whole. Even with the Seagate Blackarmour discovery software, we still get this "Windows Security" pop up that tells us the username and password is incorrect. But it will not offer a prompt to enter any of this data. I am stumped and google is not helping me today. Can anyone suggest a solution?

I am using an administrator account, we used to go into network, double click the nas computer icon and then we would see the files there. Now it just says we don't have permission to do this because of the user account we're using.

jungle71

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
just for clarity, is the Seagate BlackArmour 110 NAS password protected or the two folders inside the Drive?

have you reset the password with the reset button?

6z9scrx51

http://postimg.org/image/6z9scrx51/

chris9486

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2013
It is just two folders inside that are protected. Access to the actual root file system is not protected. Access to the control panel is protected too.

I found out some more info. I can not use the blackarmor discovery software either on Windows 8, it throws up the same error. But if I go into network and choose the nas drive under the other icon (not the computer icon we use to access the root) it prompts me to sign in to the control panel, just like it does with other computers.

I haven't used the reset button yet, I am not sure this will help since the problem lies with Windows 8 and not the NAS, since I can access the NAS without a problem with the remaining vista machine or the the one windows 7 we have. I did upgrade the firmware.

jungle71

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
what error does it show? an error code would be nice if i know. if you manage to use the software is there any folder creation option, if the is check the folder permissions on that.

also is it possible to try connect straight to a laptop and see if the problem persists?. right click on one of the password protected folders- go on security and see who has permission to that folder?. click on edit also and see if you can add or remove users.

chris9486

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2013

There's no error code at all. It doesn't even let me open the root so I cannot click on any folders, there's none showing. All I see is the NAS Icon (computer graphic one) which we would access the drive with.

I will try a laptop with an ethernet cable on Friday when I am in work, it could be a wireless setting because the Vista machine that can access the NAS drive is wired to the router. But just to note, all of the other machines could access it via wireless when running XP/Vista/Windows 7.

I will get you a screenshot of what happens when I try access the NAS drive.

jungle71

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
o ok, yeah, let me know how that goes, also check the properties of the folder, if you can find out who can access that file,( might even be a read and right permission issue) but screen shot will be good.

cheers

chris9486

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2013

Hiya, at work now. It is nothing to do with permissions on the NAS drive as it works as it always has, perfect, on a windows vista and windows 7 machine. This is something specific to windows 8 as it does the exact same across all 17 windows 8 machines we have. You'll see from the screenshot that there's 2 NAS icons, the computer one is what we've always used to just go and browse the NAS folders as and when we needed. The NAS icon in the shape of an external drive, well that is for administering the NAS drive and funnily enough, that works PERFECT!

TRENDING THREADS