[SOLVED] Windows security popup crashes or reboots upon entering pin, cancelling, or exiting ?

Xxcookid123xX

Honorable
Jan 14, 2015
Been stuck with this issue for like, 2 years, and its just a really hard thorn in my neck as time goes on.

Upon being prompted to enter my pin to verify its me, nothing I do will ever make this damn security test function. As said in title, entering a pin, cancelling, or trying to exit yields with two results. That result depends on the program- if it's opera/chrome, it will crash the entire browser and exit the prompt. If it's for a purchase verification on the store application, it will reboot the prompt instantly, like nothing happened. Will never go away and sometimes in this situation, task manager won't get rid of it, forcing me to restart to close it.

This issue doesn't affect me in any way really besides the browser part. I can't view ANY of my saved passwords, because it prompts for my pin. Idk who the hell's idea it was to integrate browser security with windows security but it is what it is

I've tried changing the startup type of credential manager, stopping it, restarting, etc, doesn't work. No clue why this started happening because needing to view my passwords is something that I barely needed to do so whenever I first found out it was broken, it could of been broken for months. Nobody knows.

so if anyone can help with this.. that'd be great. tired of windows 10 and it's absolute horrid 'features'

incase its not obvious what prompt i'm talking about heres a picture of it https://prnt.sc/vfu3h7

Solution
win 10 install size is 20gb, it shouldn't take up that much space.

try running windirstat, it shows what is taking up the most space -https://windirstat.net/

120gb is getting too small for a win 10 drive anyway, we normally recommend 250 or larger now, not because windows itself uses all the space but it gives you remove to move in. I had a 250gb ssd on last install and always had 167gb free, I had done similar to you

what are specs of the PC? Win 10 will run on anything provided there are drivers for the hardware. 8 years isn't that old.

Don't you know anyone with faster internet? they can use the iso too as its not single use. Microsoft should sell the USB installer by itself for people who can't download it. I can see possible...

Colif

Win 11 Master
See if this helps
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Xxcookid123xX

Honorable
Jan 14, 2015
See if this helps
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Did both sfc and repair, and they finished fine with no errors. Before and after restart, nothing happens. Still crashes.

I can't do the local account thing as the article you linked requests, because it prompts the credentials manager to verify its me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
which version of win 10 are you on now?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 20H2

Opera & Chrome both use the same engine. New version of Edge also does, so avoiding the security pop up is getting difficult to do.

if you can't make a new local account you are sort of stuck. It looks like a profile problem and not a windows problem, hence SFC/DISM didn't find any problems. Fixing user problems is perhaps a weakness of WIn 10, its the one place it all falls apart. Or maybe its just that I don't know a fix. That may not mean there isn't one. I don't know everything :)

If I search how to fix win 10 user profiles most of the answers are make a new one.

I am not sure a repair install would fix this as

Not sure i would have put up with it for 2 years, I would have reinstalled win 10 to see if it fixed it.

Xxcookid123xX

Honorable
Jan 14, 2015
which version of win 10 are you on now?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 20H2

Opera & Chrome both use the same engine. New version of Edge also does, so avoiding the security pop up is getting difficult to do.

if you can't make a new local account you are sort of stuck. It looks like a profile problem and not a windows problem, hence SFC/DISM didn't find any problems. Fixing user problems is perhaps a weakness of WIn 10, its the one place it all falls apart. Or maybe its just that I don't know a fix. That may not mean there isn't one. I don't know everything :)

If I search how to fix win 10 user profiles most of the answers are make a new one.

I am not sure a repair install would fix this as

Not sure i would have put up with it for 2 years, I would have reinstalled win 10 to see if it fixed it.
I'm on version 1909. I can't install a new version because my SSD is only 111gb (atleast visible, sold as 120) and windows takes up probably about 90% of that already. I've moved every single thing on my pc to a seperate harddrive besides drivers, which total probably close to 15gb, so I can't free up anymore space for windows. 10 is a huge ass operating system for no reason.

Also I didn't mean SFC didnt find any problems, what I meant was it finished without an error. It did say it found some issues and fixed them, but I didn't see if it gave more info.

I might reinstall windows one of these days, but i've gone quite a few years on this installation and i'm not sure if I can even get a lot of the drivers for my hardware due to this pc being like 8 years old.

But if I were to reinstall one day, do you think using the built-in factory reset would work? Downloading the iso would be kinda a pain, got 10/1 internet here.

Colif

Win 11 Master

try running windirstat, it shows what is taking up the most space -https://windirstat.net/

120gb is getting too small for a win 10 drive anyway, we normally recommend 250 or larger now, not because windows itself uses all the space but it gives you remove to move in. I had a 250gb ssd on last install and always had 167gb free, I had done similar to you

what are specs of the PC? Win 10 will run on anything provided there are drivers for the hardware. 8 years isn't that old.

Don't you know anyone with faster internet? they can use the iso too as its not single use. Microsoft should sell the USB installer by itself for people who can't download it. I can see possible confusion of unscrupulous sellers selling it as a licensed copy (which it isn't) but there has tor be a way.

Factory reset might fix it, as it should only go back as far as Win 10 1909 as that is current install version and it should have replaced the backup image.

Solution

Xxcookid123xX

Honorable
Jan 14, 2015

Don't you know anyone with faster internet? they can use the iso too as its not single use. Microsoft should sell the USB installer by itself for people who can't download it. I can see possible confusion of unscrupulous sellers selling it as a licensed copy (which it isn't) but there has tor be a way.

Factory reset might fix it, as it should only go back as far as Win 10 1909 as that is current install version and it should have replaced the backup image.

okay, my bad, i've just pretty much assumed the growing size was windows updates over the years. Turns out, a bigger part of it is the fact that for some reason it's become normal to store your application's data in a completely random place instead of in it's install folder. I knew apps put large amounts of data in appdata, but I didn't think it was 21gb. I don't understand why appdata is a thing in the first place, why store your data somewhere else- why not in the folder you were installed in or atleast maybe even the same damn drive. anyway, i'll create a junction and move appdata to my D drive for now, i don't really want to spend 50$ on an ssd because in the future when i get a new pc i plan on buying atleast 1 or 2tb, and then one i buy now will just become a side drive, not even worth anything because 2tb hdds are cheap as hell.

Not gonna bother with the giving out specs, reason on last paragraph

and no I do not know anyone with faster internet, besides online friends. Out here, the max speed you can get without moving about 5 miles up the road is 10/1. we aren't paying for a lower plan to save money, 10/1 is the max and costs like 40-50$ (not sure what the exact amount is). It's ridiculous because they have a monopoly on our entire city.

I'm only probably a year and half off of getting a new pc, so I think i'll just bear with the issue for a little longer until the new pc. Thanks for the help, I was hoping i could solve the issue without resetting 10 but looks like that isnt the case.

I'll give a best answer for this one though because I've never heard of windirstat and it's pretty helpful. before-hand I was going through files manually like a chump.

TRENDING THREADS