Question Windows server 2012 r2 ..Increasing Virtual drive size

naviseyer

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
I thought i may have posted this here before but it doesn't show up when I search my content. So i am trying to find away to increase the size of 2 hyper V virtual drives without having to back up ,format, recreate the drives but make them bigger , then use the back up to repopulate the data .

Unfortunately for me that's the only I know how to do it. I am sure there has to be away of just increasing the size using the unallocated space but i just dont know how to do it... If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

My vhd store is 3.63tb with 2.07tb of free space,

The current setup is 2 virtual drives

1 is for quickbooks i allocated 300gigs and I'm currently using 179gigs

2nd VD is all our share folders and data - Its allocated for 1TB and I only have 55 gigs free . So this is the VD i need to allocate more space to .

Any questions please ask... if anyone has any ideas please chime in.

As always thanks for your help and support.

naviseyer

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Hyper-V Manager

Microsoft Corporation

Version: 6.3.9600.16384

I know there is an easy way to do it but i haven't found any simple step by step tutorials .
So for about 1 year now i have been Archiving anything older then 5 years on an 32 TB NAS. We are a mom and pop Fire Suppression Company we do a lot of fire sprinkler install and service. Since it is considered life safety i have to keep 7 years of records.
Drawings ,Test ,engineers report anything that has anything to do with the calculating of a fire suppression system has to be saved 7 years . This is my dilemma .

i will follow those links hopefully its simple enough for me to figure out and get done.

Thanks

naviseyer

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
So i finally got an empty office and i am trying today to expand 2 virtual machines .
I already expanded the VM we use to Run and store Quickbooks,

Before I expand the VM I use for most of our data I am hoping to get some advice.

So i expanded VM-QB01 from 150 gigs to 175 gigs. It looks correct when i check it on hyper v manager . When i check it from a workstation just seeing what it shows on windows explorer its still showing the same size 150gigs with 100 gigs used .

There is a step that i havent done yet which is going to diskmanager and expanding the size.

When i right click on QB01 the expand size is greyed out and disk 1 where both VM are stored has no unallocated space. Since i was not the one that created these Virtual machines i can only assume the allocated all the space originally .

And this is where i am stuck... anyone on here have any ideas on this ?

Best

Navi

naviseyer

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Ok so i was able to figure this out and even though I didn't receive any responses I think just for future reference I should include my findings. So the directions were absolutely spot on . I had tried using diskmgmt.msc to do the expand . My issues was i was doing it from the host. As soon as i logged on to the actual VM i was able to see the unallocated space in Diskmgmt and was able to expand the drives to use all the extra space i added.

If anyone has any questions please feel free.

Best

Ivan

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS