Windows Setup CRITICAL PROCESS DIED and 0x0000021c on install and boot

Nov 5, 2018
So all of a sudden I come home to find my computer in a boot loop with a blue screen and critical proccess died and error code 0x00000021c and I have no idea how to fix it.
Thinking it was the ssd i bought a new one and tried to install a fresh usb install of windows 10 but the same critical process died message. So then I bought a new motherboard and still the same message windows is not installed and this is just the installer so i cant do safe mode and even the old ssd with windows when it tried to go into recovery mode it just did the same bluescreen. I used the same usb and ssd on anptger computer and it worked and installed it perfectly but upon pluging that into this computer it just does the error message.
Asus b350 prime( old board )
MSI Tomahawk B350(new board)
GTX 1070(pretty new)
Ryzen 1700 (kinda old but never had problems)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Critical process died is a fairly common error on boot, but that other one is an unknown, not much info on that code, Google likes to return results on 0x0000021 instead

it seems to have something to do with the boot config data. Seems strange to get same error on a new motherboard and new SSD.

1. Is ssd blank? Try doing this in command prompt off installer and clean SSD

change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
this shows all drives available, DVD/USB and hdd, make note of hdd number
type Select disk X - where X is the number of the hdd you want to wipe, change X to that number and press enter
once the drive you want to wipe is chosen, type Clean

that just wipes windows off SSD, doesn't fix problem but you shouldn't get a bsod from it while installing (I would think)

2. Using the same ram?

Try running memtest86 on the ram, 1 memory stick at a time, up to 8 passes. The only error count you want is 0, any higher means stick needs to be removed/replaced

ram could be cause of corruption though normally it throws more than 1 error type at you. MOre random, doesn't always say its the same error.

My I5 4690K is old, how can a Ryzen be old??

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried another USB stick? Have you turned fast boot and Secure boot off as if they on, PC will just be trying to boot off SSD. Do you get same errors with no drives in PC - apart from USB?

tried memtest?

The same error all the time. 2 different ssd and motherboards. If its hardware, it is something that is always in both installs, so ram, CPU? hard to test a Ryzen without an operating system - only as you would need to use UltimateBootCD to run Prime95 sincew AMD don't have their own tool for purpose.

Colif

Win 11 Master
XAkJa9A.jpg
Points to a ram problem

is the ram on the motherboards compatibility list? it might have been on original board but is it on new one as well? What is the serial number of the ram? Ryzen is picky about what ram it will work with.

I think the bugcheck 0x21c An error occurred in the WX86 subsystem.
so I think it would be some 32bit app crashing the windows 32bit x86 subsystem.
not sure if that means the Linux on windows subsystem or 32 bit windows on windows subsystem. (seems to mean Win32 x86 emulation subsystem)
guess wsl refers to the Linux subsystem