Windows Sharing not working on two different interconnected networks

ZAN RPG

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
ok here is the picture describing the network in detail
http://i.imgur.com/V49SrMn.jpg

So what I wanted to do is to turn on windows homegroup sharing, so that me and my friends can share movies and other things through the Ethernet ,I created a homegroup on my pc and shared some folders , then I went to my friends house to join his pc to my homegroup .
So the PC no 3 (in the pic) was easily able to join the homegroup , no problem at all ,but the PCs 5,6,7 cannot even find my homegroup , so what should I do to make em find me , maybe because of that secondary TPlink router, I can configure it but I cant remove it from the network, all the Ips are static which I assigned through the DHCP and MAC bindings , so any solutions ? and is there any other program which can let us share stuff the same way windows does so that we can browse stuff and just copy what we want from the other pc ?

Solution

You will still have full control of wifi on the second router.

As for bandwidth control, is it not available on the first router? If you want to use the bandwidth features only on the second router, you would need to consider putting the first router in bridge mode (essentially turning your first router into a modem only).

Even when forwarding ports, you will still have sharing and double NAT problems.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

The computers connected to the second router are on a different subnet, causing problems with sharing.

You should connect the cable from the first router to a numbered LAN port (not the WAN or Internet port) on the second router, and disable DHCP on the second router. This will put all PCs on the same subnet.

ZAN RPG

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015

yea that will solve the prob , but the wifi and the bandwidth control feature would not work because these are on the WAN port, some people said that opening some ports on the 2nd router might turn on homegroup detection ,can that work ?

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

You will still have full control of wifi on the second router.

As for bandwidth control, is it not available on the first router? If you want to use the bandwidth features only on the second router, you would need to consider putting the first router in bridge mode (essentially turning your first router into a modem only).

Even when forwarding ports, you will still have sharing and double NAT problems.

Solution