Question Windows show 15.9gb of Ram

ZeroFLUcharismA

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
Hello team,

i just bought a new gpu(Gigabyte 2060 Super Gaming OC). Since 3 months ago my old r9 270x died. I haven't used my rig since April 2019. I just now installed the new gpu, updated BIOS to the latest version and started windows installation. Everything finished ok, and when i entered This Pc-->Properties i saw 15.9 ram. Not 16gb(15.9 usable), just a 15.9 decimal number.
My system:
Asus B350 Prime plus
Ryzen 5 1600
Gskill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8
Gigabyte 2060 Super Gaming OC

Thank you in advance

Can you post a screenshot of where you are seeing that at?

Can you download CPU-Z and post screenshots of the memory and SPD tabs?

Are your memory modules installed in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket? Because if not, you need to move them to those slots as that is where they SHOULD be installed at.

Those missing 100MB of ram are causing you any problems?
They are probably hardware reserved. 100MB from 16GB is less than 1% (0.6% to be exact).

Hardware reserved is not reflected in the amount of RAM shown on system properties. Example.

oktOY8x.png

When you see an abnormal amount of RAM reflected on the system properties page, it means something is off somewhere. Every time.

ZeroFLUcharismA

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
Thanks for fast response guys, i am not in front of my machine but the screen is exactly this one posted above.
In the properties of my computer, but instead of 32gb shown above, i see 15.9. I am just trying to figure out what happened. The machine was shut down for about 4 months without gpu and all hard drives were empty. I received the new gpu yesterday, so i just installed it and i thought to update to the latest bios before installing windows again. It is not that this 100mb is causing trouble, i just do not understand why. I also didn't move the ram dimms, i didn't even touch them to be honest :D. I am thinking to re-settle them and reinstall windows. The only difference i can think is that i installed the new latest amd chipset drivers and that i use nvidia drivers now and not amd, No other difference. I thought that a setting in bios for igpu could cause it, but i haven't found anything in bios settings regarding the integrated graphics and i also do not have igpu since is r5 1600.
Please note that i never had issues like this before and in general i am totally satisfied. I am thinking to roll back to my old bios version since i cannot use more than 3066 ram speed, i updated in case i reach 3200mhz but system is unstable, so newer bios makes no difference for me i think. Memory modules are in a2 and b2 slots as they are supposed to be for this mobo, i always had 16gb since yesterday. Only differences are the new gpu and the new bios version. Please share your thoughts.

You updated the BIOS?

Reset the BIOS. That may resolve the issue. You can do so as follows.

BIOS hard reset

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

TRENDING THREADS