Windows shows chosen default color but nothing else

Lilkidge

Reputable
Mar 29, 2016
Can someone help me my pc boots windows 8 but shows my chosen color fullscreen but nothing shows up i left it on all night and nothing happned i re-installed windows 8 on the same hdd and its still doing the same thing. It responds to putting the computer to sleep mode and shut down, it does sometimes show a login screen if lucky then it goes blank with the color again

Welcome to Tom's Hardware, Lilkidge!

I'd advise you to go to BIOS and make sure you have set the booting priority right. If you provide some more details about your PC configuration, it might also be helpful. If you are unable to boot into Windows from this HDD, then you should probably consider testing the drive's health and SMART status using its manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic tool on another PC or use their DOS version (it will allow you to test the drive without booting into Windows). Can you see the booting drive in the connected SATA devices in BIOS?

Have you tried swapping the SATA cable and the SATA port where the HDD is connected to?

Keep me posted with the details and troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD :)

Hey there again, Lilkidge!

Can you please share more details about your PC configuration, because it's really hard to guess what the issue might be? Sending some screenshots/photos of the issue could also be helpful. Have you tried running the System Repair Options from the Windows Installation media or booting into Safe Mode? It sounds like either the OS installation is corrupted or the HDD itself. I'd recommend you to follow the troubleshooting steps from my previous post and see how it goes. If you have access to another PC, you should definitely try plugging the HDD there and see how it will behave.

Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD