windows shuts down and can only see background

bigal80ak

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
Hi i am having a problem i will be using my computer just doing normal things, internet, word docs, nothing special and all of a sudden i wont be able to open a new document or web page.
It may open but it will be blank Task manager wont open( so cant reload explorer.exe) i can minimize them and click a desktop icon and it will load but none of the programs inside will and when i try to open a different folder on the left panel of an open window a grey bar comes across the top where the address is like its trying to load but when it gets all the way across nothing.
Eventually the taskbar icons and everything closes and i am just left with the windows 7 background.
It acts like an explorer.exe crash but in my experience you can usually ctrl-alt-del and get explorer.exe to run through command but my computer does nothing.
Ran spybot(safe mode), cleaner(Safe Mode), avast(boot-time) and cleaned up anything i could drivers are all up to date. This has happened a few time very sporadically though on two different installs of windows 7. Ran memory diagnostic and ran Western digital program to test hard drive everything came back okie dokie. It almost seems like it is not reading the hdd? But it still seems possible explorer or system crash but it crashes so slowly and oddly.

Any Ideas? Sorry for the story and thank you

Sys:
phenom 2 x6 1965t
kingston8gb memory
biostar A770e3
wd5000aads 500gb hdd

Solution
Not necessarily. The age of the system is likely why this problem is just now showing up. Components suffer from what's called electrical migration, and therefore need slightly more power as they age. This slowly increases PSU load over the years and may help to show faults in a low quality power supply.

bigal80ak

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012

corsair tx650 is my PSU and my cpu always has normal temps never had a heat problem with it. Also my GPU is a sapphire 7950 just in case sorry did not include them as it seemed unlikely they were the culprit thank you for any input

bigal80ak

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012

you can and i know thats a good one but since this is very sporadic issue i would not imagine its the PSU also how would that cause this problem? I can see how shutting down/maybe restarting could be caused by that issue but this seems like something that PSU could not really effect

bigal80ak

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012

hmm clever but my system is over 5 years old wouldnt this have happened sooner?

Not necessarily. The age of the system is likely why this problem is just now showing up. Components suffer from what's called electrical migration, and therefore need slightly more power as they age. This slowly increases PSU load over the years and may help to show faults in a low quality power supply.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS